Kayak launch (coastal areas)

CCSAR22

I’ve scouted Harrington, east beach, and Torres causeway as some decent spots to put in to float/fish backwater marsh and rivers. Anyone know of places near Brunswick/Jekyll that are easy to launch from?

Village creek boat ramp on St. Simons island is the best place I've found to put in my kayak. You have to watch the tides. The Georgia coast has some ripping currents sometimes. I have also put in at the Sidney Lanier bridge ramp and stayed in the back waters close to there. That sound can get rough so I stay close to shore and back in the creeks. I have seen some posts about people putting in at the Jekyll ramp and fishing the backside of Jekyll but I have never personally done it.

CCSAR22

Village creek boat ramp on St. Simons island is the best place I've found to put in my kayak. You have to watch the tides. The Georgia coast has some ripping currents sometimes. I have also put in at the Sidney Lanier bridge ramp and stayed in the back waters close to there. That sound can get rough so I stay close to shore and back in the creeks. I have seen some posts about people putting in at the Jekyll ramp and fishing the backside of Jekyll but I have never personally done it.
That tidal current is my worry. Trying to stay back a little until I get the hang of it.

Seanote

The tidal current should be the number one concern to any kayaking you do in coastal waters. I have found that it is best to fish 2 to 3 hours before the tide change (depending on how long you plan to fish). This way you can continually be paddling with the current 2-3 hours out and 2-3 hours in. I prefer to go around the low change because there will be more bait available. Around the high tide, I fish more artificial baits and it is easy to paddle through the grass flats for reds.

Bobbrown

Jekyll an easy launch. No tide problems. I’m not sure what your tide concerns are but alol the major GlynnnCounty ramps I use are no problem. Not familiar with Village Creek but these guys just solved that problem. As long as you stay close To shore the edge breaks the flow and tide flow is not a problem. Just be aware of what your doing and what works.

Last edited:

Geffellz18

Man, these comments make me want to just head back home to the FL panhandle to fish and leave the GA coast alone all together!
Only time I fished the GA coast in a kayak was this past May. Put in at Butterbean Beach at day break- falling tide. Once the tide switched and started to come in, it didn't take but mere minutes to start filling the creek beds back in quickly.
I was going to beach my kayak on this island so I could walk it and fish all around it. Literally within 2 minutes it was under water! Never experienced that before. Our tides are a couple of feet max typically back home.
Definitely need to be educated on the tides and currents on the GA coast for sure!