Kayak rack for truck edit to change plans.

Toliver

I am thinking about getting a fishing kayak. I've never done it before but want a way to get on the lakes around the state parks. I want the largest, most stable platform I can get so I'm looking at some in the 12 to 13 foot range. An Old Towne with pedals is top of my list so far.

So the question is what is the best rack for transporting it? I want to have all I need in place before buying the kayak.

I will be pulling a camper so it'll have to ride up and over the cab of the truck. I'm considering a basic light weight ladder rack but with the creative and ingenious things some of you come up with, I want to see suggestions before I buy a rack and then regret it. This will be for a 2017 F-350 SRW with an 8' bed.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I am thinking about getting a fishing kayak. I've never done it before but want a way to get on the lakes around the state parks. I want the largest, most stable platform I can get so I'm looking at some in the 12 to 13 foot range. An Old Towne with pedals is top of my list so far.

So the question is what is the best rack for transporting it? I want to have all I need in place before buying the kayak.

I will be pulling a camper so it'll have to ride up and over the cab of the truck. I'm considering a basic light weight ladder rack but with the creative and ingenious things some of you come up with, I want to see suggestions before I buy a rack and then regret it. This will be for a 2017 F-350 SRW with an 8' bed.
I’ve never carried one on ladder rack but do own a 13 ft Ocean Kayak. You’ll want rollers or other device to ease getting the yak up over your head. Hoisting it up would get old real quick. There’s commercial swing loaders but they’re pricey. There used to be a guy on here fabricated a rack with a tilt that eased loading/unloading.

Toliver

Thank you, gentlemen.

Stainlessman

I have a Jackson Big Rig fishing kayak. Very stable and has a flip up stablizer bar for standing and casting or fly fishing like I enjoy. Its the only one I ever saw that offered the stablizer/lean bar. If your in your mature years like I am the bar works great as a grab bar also to enter or exit the vessel. Stable comfortable High seat too makes accesing tackle or changing from fly rod to casting rod easly.
Check it out. You might like it.
As far as a loading rack or rack my uncle had a pole that went into the hitch of a car or truck. He had a station wagon. The pole had a goal post on the top that sweveled. He would put one end of the boat on the pole. Pick up the rear of the 12' boat and walk around and slide it onto the roof racks. It was a very simple back saving tool that made loading by yourself very easy. I remember seeing it sold by Cabelas thirty yrs ago or more. If anyone is handy its easy to make also.
But. Nowdays pickup trucks have Taller tires and reaching in the bed is impossible. So accesing racks from the ground is impossible or dam near it also.

Last edited:

Foster

I have these

Viking Solutions VKS-VKR001 Truck Bed Kayak/SUP Rack​

They work well and are easier than a top ladder rack.

Toliver

Thank you. I like that. I'll have to check into that one further. I'm just going to have to replace my bed cover to one that doesn't obscure the holes on top of the bed.

Toliver

For my purposes, I think I've decided to go this route.

Screenshot_20230131_205423_Chrome.jpg

Geffellz18

That ought to work-Not sure if you ran across the Pelican Catch pwr10 through your research, but looks like a pretty cool setup too for single man use. Almost along the same lines as a solo skiff with a transom made specifically for a trolling motor or really small outboard.

Toliver

That ought to work-Not sure if you ran across the Pelican Catch pwr10 through your research, but looks like a pretty cool setup too for single man use. Almost along the same lines as a solo skiff with a transom made specifically for a trolling motor or really small outboard.
I did see some pelicans. I was put onto this Bass Hunter by a friend who has one. He pointed out the solid construction vs the 2 pieces put together like the Bass Pro Pond Prowler. I almost bought the latter before learning of the former.

Toliver

I think this one will work better for having my dog with me than a kayak will.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have an Ocean Kayak Big Game, it hauls my round butt and several hundred pounds of gear if needed. It’s very stabile. It has a strap inbetween your feet to pull on to assist standing up and getting down. It has a Hi and Low position seat. You can sit high and fish then lower it if you need to get through some larger shoals.

Geffellz18

Agree that the setup pictured will probably the best option if you intend to have your dog along!
Best of luck with your purchase and tight lines.

Toliver

And if my wife suddenly decides to join me I suppose I can let her sit in the second seat.

Hmmmm.... maybe I should rethink this! lol

weagle

I would go with a bed extender if you plan to load a big kayak by yourself. Much easier, and you will use the Kayak a lot more than only when you go camping.

When pulling the camper, there are some racks that fit on the side.

31QbPUFCnzL.jpg

weagle

PS. I'm 61 years old, 6'2" 230 and If I kept only one fishing Kayak, it would be my Pelican HD 110. Pedals, Paddle or a watersnake motor. Light enough to carry and load by myself. Very stable and durable.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stainlessman

Either video it looks like no lift vest or inflatable vest is being worn. The ocean kayak one the guy is wearing waders with no vest. Tip over and fill thoses with water and your done no matter how fit you are. I came darn close to drowing tipping over a canoe many yrs ago fishing in the rain wearing a rain jacket and pants and no life vest.
Never again. No one expects to have to use a life vest or seat belt in a car for that matter.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m never without a PFD when paddling. I leave it on when beaching the yak and wading a stream, a fall and injury could be fatal.

Stainlessman

I had two pfd's in my canoe when I flipped, both went in different directions and I was sucking in water. Very few people drown wearing a life vest.