Kayak Registration

WranglerSS

I saw a post on another web site and got me to thinking. Why do we have to register our Kayaks in Georgia if we put an electric motor on them when electric bikes (eBikes) don't have the same requirement? In my case I have a peddle kayak and putting a TPP rudder motor on it basically makes it electric assist more so than electric powered similar to eBikes.

Because the spandex bike fairies are mean. Last rep that tried to file legislation requiring them to get a tag the same as the rest of us that use the roads very nearly got lynched.

But.... I'm sure there's a few county mounties or crappie cops that will jack one up if they run a motorized vehicle on the asphalt without a tag.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Allowing electrics on a kayak without registration would open a lot of water for the solo fisherman without burden. You could power upstream and drift back. Power away from launches and high traffic areas then paddle quieter water.

Putting those big letters and numbers on a kayak is problematic and looks awful.

WranglerSS

Not sure I understand the comment "open more water". Is there areas where you can't take a motorized kayak?
I think kayak registration is an unnecessary tax.

kayaksteve

I’ve considered putting my trolling motor on my kayak a few times but haven’t done it yet. I’d love to be able to do it without registration but I can see why they require it for a motor. If electric kayaks didn’t have to have one then what about a John boat? Or a full on electric bass boat? There has to be a line drawn somewhere to differentiate between and the difference now is having a motor. It’s not a huge deal to register one and I’d like to think the money is atleast mostly going to good use that benefits paddlers boaters and anglers all the same.

bowhunterdavid

I got a electric motor for my nucanoe kayak so i got it register since i fish some government lakes. The stickers will not stick to it no matter what kind i put on it, and i will not paint them on. Ill keep the registration card on me if i get checked.

weagle

I've registered a couple of Kayaks. The only issue I had was registering a Kayak that I had purchased new 2 years before I added a trolling motor and registered it. If you purchased a kayak new, you need the receipt and the manufacture's Statement of Origin. I had not kept up with that paperwork. The lady that handles the calls at DNR was very knowledgeable and worked it out for me. It's really easy to register a used kayak with a hand written bill of sale. The motor really extends your range on a kayak.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The registering don’t bother me as much as the numbering. If carrying the card keeps Mr Green Jeans happy then I’m good.

weagle

The registering don’t bother me as much as the numbering. If carrying the card keeps Mr Green Jeans happy then I’m good.

On Lanier I had the DNR officers ask me about the registration. I didn't have the numbers on it yet. I showed them the temporary registration and told them I was waiting on the permanent sticker and numbers. They were fine with that, but it does tell me that they expect registration if you have a trolling motor and you need to have numbers or paperwork because they will check. On another encounter on the Hooch, the DNR checked my fishing license and said "I see you have the boat registered" but didn't ask to see the registration card. I had the registration sticker on the Kayak and the numbers were written on with a fat Sharpie.

across the river

I saw a post on another web site and got me to thinking. Why do we have to register our Kayaks in Georgia if we put an electric motor on them when electric bikes (eBikes) don't have the same requirement? In my case I have a peddle kayak and putting a TPP rudder motor on it basically makes it electric assist more so than electric powered similar to eBikes.

Because you have always been required to register a boat with an electric motor, primarily jon boats in the past, for many years through the DNR. Kayaks for fishing came around long after the rule was in place and fell under the current regulations that existed. The DNR has never had anyone register a bicycle, so I don’t really get the comparison or the question.

bob4fishing

i had to register my canoe when i put a trolling motor on it and had thought about putting one on my kayak but changed my mind it doesn't make much sense but like other said $$$ the good point some other state motor or no motor you have to have #'s so i guess we can be somewhat thankful.

Geffellz18

Don’t disagree that it probably shouldn’t be necessary, but really the registration doesn’t cost all that much and in my experience I didn’t find it to be that inconvenient of a process. Thinking about registering one of my newer ones now to have one powered vessel for open water fishing, or to be able to go upstream without killing myself paddling!