Kayaks for fishing

whitetaco02

What are some of the laws regarding kayaks for fishing public waters?

Does it have to be registered?

Anything else we may need to know?

What are some of the laws regarding kayaks for fishing public waters?

Does it have to be registered? no, as long as you don't put any kind of motor on it.

Anything else we may need to know? How to swim :bounce: You still need to comply with all PFD laws, which means having one in the boat for each person. You don't need a throwable, but apparently all the game wardens don't know that, so you may save yourself some grief by having one. PFD has to be readily accessible -- stuffed up in a hull won't get it.

I have heard of people getting tickets for not having a life jacket on. This was on the Ocmulgee in the Butts/Jasper area. I forget the term the game warden used....

Randy

The issue with the Ocmulgee below Jackson is the area up until the bridge is considered a hazardous area and you have to have a PFD on in that area. Personally I wear one Any time I am on the water.

As for regulations, you have to have a PFD readily accessible. That does not mean in a hatch. You also are required to have a sound making device. This can be just a whislte.

ZachYak

You also are required to have a sound making device. This can be just a whislte.

I was under the impression it was just in federally controlled waters (IE Coast, Great Lakes), but either way I would highly recommend having one just to be safe (as far as regulations and safety go). I know I always have one.

Bruiser

I was under the impression it was just in federally controlled waters (IE Coast, Great Lakes), but either way I would highly recommend having one just to be safe (as far as regulations and safety go). I know I always have one.

You are correct Zach. You are not required to have a sound making device in GA state waters if you boat is less than 26 feet. However, like you stated, you must have a sound making device in federally controlled waters, no matter how small your boat is.

Randy

You are correct Zach. You are not required to have a sound making device in GA state waters if you boat is less than 26 feet. However, like you stated, you must have a sound making device in federally controlled waters, no matter how small your boat is.
Correct but it is HIGHLY recommended and I highly recommend it also.

Bruiser

I agree, Randy. Better to be more prepared than the laws require, especially when it concerns safety.