Keep rust from spreading

deers2ward

Not an actual gunsmithing question, but I thought this would be the best audience for the question. I have an original V42 stiletto that was my grandfathers from WWII. It has a few random spots of rust on the blade, ricasso, and pommel. I have been in possession of it for over 22 years, but have taken a renewed interest in it. I keep it in a zip lock freezer bag, in my gun safe w de-humidifier, and lightly hit it with wd-40 every couple of years, but wondering if there is some other kind of oil I should be using to not only prevent any further rust, but to also possibly fight the spots that are there, even though they have been there for as long as I can remember. I don't want to use anything too harsh, but am wondering if there is something better than WD40. Thanks for any tips or feedback on what

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Get it out of the plastic bag...any humidity change will cause moisture inside.

As for rust removal and preventative, #0000 steel wool and WD40 are good as any.

deers2ward

Get it out of the plastic bag...any humidity change will cause moisture inside.

As for rust removal and preventative, #0000 steel wool and WD40 are good as any.
Done on the bag, and will go get some #0000 wool today from the hardware store. Thank you

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Done on the bag, and will go get some #0000 wool today from the hardware store. Thank you

Just spray some WD on a pinch of steel wool, and with a both of careful scrubbing, the rust spots should disappear...

Next, steal some Lemon Pledge from the Ol' Lady, and coat the whole thing heavily. Let it dry and buff it off...Should preserve it pretty well.

Clemson

Birchwood Casey's RIG Universal Gun Grease is a MUCH better rust inhibitor than WD40. Get it at a gun store, Walmart, or Bass Pro Shop.

Clemson

You might also consider getting a "Golden Rod", or similar, for your safe rather than the dehumidifier cannister. The Golden Rod is a heating element that keeps the safe interior warmer than the ambient temperature outside the safe. That guarantees that moisture cannot condense on the contents of the safe. Among many other places you can get them at Tractor Supply Company.

deers2ward

You might also consider getting a "Golden Rod", or similar, for your safe rather than the dehumidifier cannister. The Golden Rod is a heating element that keeps the safe interior warmer than the ambient temperature outside the safe. That guarantees that moisture cannot condense on the contents of the safe. Among many other places you can get them at Tractor Supply Company.

Yeah I got a good sized rod down there now
rod.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

rosewood

Dont use wd40 on guns, just dont
It is probably good for cleaning, but not so much for long term protection. WD-40 actually dissolves other protectants. Recently discovered you can use it to remove wheel bearing grease from jeans. My oldest brother lubed his bicycle bearings with WD-40 as a kid, rode real smooth for a short while then the grease ran out and his bearings were destroyed.

There are other protectants that are designed for firearms that are more appropriate. I typically use Remoil myself, but nothing wrong with the other brands designed for firearms or even the waxes and such others have mentioned on here.

Rosewood