Kennel/ reputable breeder near Newnan

bubbafowler

I'm looking to get my daughter a dog some time next year. She wants to train it to track deer and find sheds (she's 8 so her pops and I will be doing actual training). Are there any reputable kennels or breeders in my area where i could take her and show her different dogs?

FOLES55

Gold plate gun dogs off bear creek rd?

There is also the guy down around the Coweta/Luthersville line that trains dogs. He is affiliated with the duck commanders, trained Si’s poodle I’ve been told.

FOLES55

Sent you a PM

nrh0011

Take her out to the NAVHDA chapter one day in Hamilton, GA. Plenty of different versatile dogs there, all able to track too.

drahthaar

Take her out to the NAVHDA chapter one day in Hamilton, GA. Plenty of different versatile dogs there, all able to track too.
Thats good advice. You/she'll get to see and touch lots of breeds and meet folks that have contact with real working dogs lines.

bubbafowler

Thanks guys!!! I don't have high expectations for a working dog, but she wants to try and if we're gonna have a dog why not. She won't be out making money with this one but if she shoots one she'll wanna put the dog on it.

wildlands

With her wanting a dog to do shed hunting also make sure that whatever breed you end up with it has some retriever background. You can work a lot of dogs as a tracking dog but not all will retrieve regularly.

bubbafowler

It's a big commitment, might as well spend plenty of time making the decision.
Ya figure i'll start now because it'll be summer at best unless something crazy falls in my lap. If it was me I'd get a pair of beagles and be in the briars but that's not what she wants. I know i have talked to people with tracking dogs that say playing with them won't mess up their drive. Is this true? I know a beagle that plays too much at home often loses their drive.

nrh0011

Ya figure i'll start now because it'll be summer at best unless something crazy falls in my lap. If it was me I'd get a pair of beagles and be in the briars but that's not what she wants. I know i have talked to people with tracking dogs that say playing with them won't mess up their drive. Is this true? I know a beagle that plays too much at home often loses their drive.

I don't think that's very true for most dogs, if so I'd really question the breeder's ability to produce hunting dogs. Only scenario where I can see them losing drive is when hunting is associated with something negative (hard handling, etc.). Hunting and eventually finding game is and should be the ultimate reward for a hunting dog. My opinion for what it's worth....

Latest posts