Kind of Embarrassed to ask, but...

Sixes

what do mussels taste like?

I'm 51 and as far as I know, I have never sampled mussels. I watched a guy eat a plate literally layered with mussels and I thought about what they would taste like. Also, how are they cooked? Steamed?

I like all seafood as far as I know, but do they have a seafood taste? I love scallops, shrimp, lobster, oysters, etc.

Dr. Strangelove

If you have a Carrabba's nearby, stop in for Happy Hour. Some of their appetizers and drinks are half price.

Mussels Cozze Bianco is one of those half price appetizers, it's really the only time I go to Carraba's anymore unless it's not on my dime. Link below:

Carrabba's Mussels Cozze Bianco

Nothing to be embarrassed about, heck I met a woman about a year ago that had never tried crab legs at 45ish years of age. Just never was a thing in her family.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What Mexican Squealer said. I love some steamed mussels, especially with a white wine/garlic/butter sauce.

Big7

The Oracle
What Mexican Squealer said. I love some steamed mussels, especially with a white wine/garlic/butter sauce.
My favorite way as well.

Also cold with horseradish based cocktail sauce.
Texture is about like a clam and you can cook both in the same ways. Not quite as sweet as a clam.

Mussels are awesome.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Get you a sack in the seafood department and steam ‘em in some garlic and white wine. Sop up the juices with some French bred or any good crusty bread. I love em’, I’d describe them close to a clam but a little different. Dang sure worth trying pal.

I could make a meal off just the bread and the white wine reduction. Try em Timmy. you'll like em.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
If you have a Carrabba's nearby, stop in for Happy Hour. Some of their appetizers and drinks are half price.

Mussels Cozze Bianco is one of those half price appetizers, it's really the only time I go to Carraba's anymore unless it's not on my dime. Link below:

Carrabba's Mussels Cozze Bianco

Nothing to be embarrassed about, heck I met a woman about a year ago that had never tried crab legs at 45ish years of age. Just never was a thing in her family.
That's my go-to at Carraba's. Love the happy hour. You have to sit in the bar area to get the half price appetizer and drinks, but well worth it.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I've also had them steamed in Stout beer and those are good too. I think my favorite is the white wine/garlic butter.

BDD

If you do try steaming if the don’t open don’t eat them, they were dead when you cooked them.
You can usually tell if you drop them in ice water first and they don’t crack open a little. Try to
Buy them the day they come in.

I brown sausage with garlic and onions, add a can of tomato soup and a can of beer and drop them in Until they open.

georgia_home

they’re worth a try. and mostly pick up flavor from what you cook with.

But… I’ve always been a clam and oyster person. Especially Oysters, fried or raw.