Kinda weird but great evening in the woods

sprewett

This evening after church decided to hit the woods for my daily "workout" took off to a WMA local to me that I have seen a good many squirrels and hogs (either seen or heard) every trip so far. I would like to get a hog but my mouth has been drooling over the thought of some squirrel tacos. Plus I got a score to settle with them little bushy tail scoundrels.
I get to the spot and begin my hike with the ole' single shot Winchester 22lr. The hard rain had cleared the road of any previous tracks so it was nice seeing a new story being written by tracks and LOTS of yote poop with some pig poop occasionally. Saw some song dog poop with pig hair in it guess one got an appetite for pork chops. Didn't see or hear any hogs today but did jump up three deer.
This is where it gets weird. When I was about 200 yards from the gate I could see headlights on a vehicle with someone walking near the DNR dozer that they have been cutting fire breaks with. I heard someone messing with the gate. I began to think maybe it was DNR but the vehicle was a Honda Passport so I knew it wasn't a state vehicle. By the time I got back to my vehicle he was inside and being he kinda looked out of place I asked was everything ok. He was in the vehicle with a lady and they said everything was fine they were just going to do some target shooting. There is no range anywhere around so I thought I am going to hurry and get out of here before this commences. I went to another spot that was in hearing distance only two shots were fired. I really thought that was strange so I made tracks to get out and on the way I saw a truck pulling a camper (which the WMA I was on it is perfectly legal to camp on) into a pull off campsite that had been used during deer season. It was just weird to see and for them to begin set up at dark.
Anyways despite the activities that I thought were strange it was an awesome evening for a small game chasing. Saw animals and cover a bit over 3.5 miles. My mouth is still watering for some squirrel tacos and the score remains unsettled. Never a bad time in the woods or water.

Attachments

• IMG_20230212_181429918_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230212_181429918_HDR~2.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 23