King Charles Cavalier Spaniel

nkbigdog

My Bride of almost 50 yrs is now in a Personal Care Home..I need a buddy to help fill the void..I am looking for a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, it's small enough to also travel with me in my Jeep..I think this will also help my Bride when I go to visit..This is what one looks like..I prefer a dog that is house broken already.. I have registered on many sites that deal with this particular breed. I have a trainer I know that said he would be glad to train the buddy I find..

HughW2

I would be interested in this as well. My wife and I have always had labs for dogs but we are both 60 now and she says our next dog needs to be smaller than a lab and she loves the KCCs. We have talked to people that own them and we have heard the are very lovable, sweet and fun; but not the brightest and also prone to lose bladder control when excited (When you have a house guest, etc.). Would love to hear comments from owners.

AceOfTheBase

Hope you find one soon.
Ours was an accidental mix of 1/2 English setter and 1/2 KCCS.
Smartest dog we've ever had.
He was definitely not a hunter, more of a lap dog.
Easy to train - house broken with no mistakes.
Crate trained, he loved it and would hope in it if we rattled our car keys.
However, when he went for a car ride, he had to be in the front seat.
He knew several words like park, car, ride, walk, park outside....
RIP Bentley:
PICT0079 (Medium).JPG

nkbigdog

I don't get out much anymore other than to pick up grocery's and visit my Bride..As a Disables Viet Nam Veteran this will help fill the void I have..I had a member suggest a breeder, but at 4k for those dogs, that is way out of my league.. So I continue on my quest to find one. All I have owned for 50 years are 2 labs and 1 Pomeranian..A smaller buddy, companion is what I need..

nkbigdog

Hope you find one soon.
Ours was an accidental mix of 1/2 English setter and 1/2 KCCS.
Smartest dog we've ever had.
He was definitely not a hunter, more of a lap dog.
Easy to train - house broken with no mistakes.
Crate trained, he loved it and would hope in it if we rattled our car keys.
However, when he went for a car ride, he had to be in the front seat.
He knew several words like park, car, ride, walk, park outside....
RIP Bentley:
View attachment 1122769
Sorry for your loss! My last lab of 12yrs was the same way..

earlthegoat2

Ok so maybe unrelated and possibly a non-issue altogether but just some further information regarding CKC Spaniels.

Thanks to us humans, nearly all of them suffer from a condition of having a skull too small to fit their brain. There is a name for this condition, Chiari malformation I think But not 100% sure on that.

The short version is that the CKCS can develop neurological symptoms That preclude a full on neurological disorder brought on by the chiari malformation. I think the prevalence of the symptoms and disorder are quite low though even though nearly all of them have the physical abnormality.

This is just peripheral information I received when a cocker spaniel I had years ago developed similar symptoms but did not actually have Chiari though cockers can also get it but it’s very rare in them. Brain tumors can also cause the symptoms.

This is not to dissuade you from getting a CKCS because they are a lovable fuzzy good time. They may have this problem though.

nkbigdog

Thanks for the info!! At this point maybe I need to broaden my choices.