Ladner BMC's ??

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
What are you going to use for tracking Greg? I've been thinking serious about getting into the dog hogging locally lately and was wondering how a gps unit would do in these mountains with 0 cell service. For example; The garmin astro 430. I've taken my garmin gps that I use to use in my truck up in the mountains and it didn't work too well, given that is a 8 yr old unit.

greg_n_clayton

What are you going to use for tracking Greg? I've been thinking serious about getting into the dog hogging locally lately and was wondering how a gps unit would do in these mountains with 0 cell service. For example; The garmin astro 430. I've taken my garmin gps that I use to use in my truck up in the mountains and it didn't work too well, given that is a 8 yr old unit.
Ours work fine ! But when we go, we circle our dogs around to the high country then go down to where the pigs may be. Thus driving them down. We also have somebody low tracking. If we we started low....they could end up in the back country !! Where you at may I ask ?

Pig Predator

Ours work fine ! But when we go, we circle our dogs around to the high country then go down to where the pigs may be. Thus driving them down. We also have somebody low tracking. If we we started low....they could end up in the back country !! Where you at may I ask ?
I'm in union county/young harris. I have a few funnels with plenty of hog and bear sign right here at the house. Problem is, It's only me huntin em. My boxer doesn't seem interested. She just pees on the roots and wallows and goes on about her business BUT she hasn't seen one yet.

My cousin has a chocolate lab/pit mix and I think she'd be a perfect hog dog. She has loads of energy and a nose to boot. There was a bear on our back porch and I could hear her barking inside 100yds away. I need a decent gps so I don't lose that dog.lol A hog in a trap would be ideal to start with to see how the dogs are gonna react. I would also like to tag along on a hunt....

greg_n_clayton

I'm in union county/young harris. I have a few funnels with plenty of hog and bear sign right here at the house. Problem is, It's only me huntin em. My boxer doesn't seem interested. She just pees on the roots and wallows and goes on about her business BUT she hasn't seen one yet.

My cousin has a chocolate lab/pit mix and I think she'd be a perfect hog dog. She has loads of energy and a nose to boot. There was a bear on our back porch and I could hear her barking inside 100yds away. I need a decent gps so I don't lose that dog.lol A hog in a trap would be ideal to start with to see how the dogs are gonna react. I would also like to tag along on a hunt....
I don't mind you coming. I am fairly certain the other guys won't care either. We lost one dog last week. I wasn't there. Couple of my buddies turned two loose when they happened up on some pigs, without their vests and collars on. One dog was killed. The other cut up. Both the best dogs of the group. We got some young dogs coming, it looks like they are going to get a work out trying to fill the void and get them doing and going as they should. Dog training on gov't land opened Wednesday, skwerl season opens this coming Wednesday

greg_n_clayton

Oh, we got a pig we working those pups on in a lot.

Pig Predator

I don't mind you coming. I am fairly certain the other guys won't care either. We lost one dog last week. I wasn't there. Couple of my buddies turned two loose when they happened up on some pigs, without their vests and collars on. One dog was killed. The other cut up. Both the best dogs of the group. We got some young dogs coming, it looks like they are going to get a work out trying to fill the void and get them doing and going as they should. Dog training on gov't land opened Wednesday, skwerl season opens this coming Wednesday
I hate to hear that about their dogs. It would be hard for me to turn one loose without the proper protection. Even then I know anything is possible. It is just the harsh reality of dogging. How old were they? And when are you goin out next? I would love to just be part of the experience until I can get my ducks in a row on dog and equipment.

greg_n_clayton

I hate to hear that about their dogs. It would be hard for me to turn one loose without the proper protection. Even then I know anything is possible. It is just the harsh reality of dogging. How old were they? And when are you goin out next? I would love to just be part of the experience until I can get my ducks in a row on dog and equipment.
I sent you a PM. Respond to it with a good phone number

greg_n_clayton

Well...I prefer they bay and not catch !! Those two will do it all !! They said they broke apart. One went on one pig the other on another. That is where it all went wrong.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Hate to hear someone lose two dogs. I don't hunt hogs, but hunt woodcock where there are plenty of hogs in the rivercane brakes. After having a close call with a hog charge on my oldest Brittany I put both of them in kevlar cut gear. After 6 seasons in the vests, I haven't had a hog problem. Here's Abby on point while wearing a Hawg Dawg Bay Vest. I had to have the leg pipings replaced season before last; this gear really holds up well. Gil