Lake Blue Ridge Smallmouth - GA Bass Slam

amorrissette

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a GA bass slam this year (ideally I'd love to get all 10, but at the very least I'll get the 5) and I'd like to get smallmouth as one of the bass. And of course I'd just love to have a lake to get out and catch smallmouth on from time to time.

I went up to blue ridge last week and found some largemouth, but no smallmouth. I ran into a couple DNR guys at the ramp and they were actually stocking smallmouth - they said they've seen good success with the smallmouth stocking helping the population.

Anyone fish Blue Ridge Lake and have any tips to catch smallmouth there? Thanks!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In the lakes around here, I mostly catch smallmouth on steep rocky banks and points near deep water, not in the typical shallow necks, blowdowns, and such places you find largemouth this time of year.

lampern

Thats interesting because according to the DNR fishing forecast for Blue Ridge lake despite the smallmouth stocking smallmouths comprise only 1% or less of the bass population.

amorrissette

Thats interesting because according to the DNR fishing forecast for Blue Ridge lake despite the smallmouth stocking smallmouths comprise only 1% or less of the bass population.

Maybe having any sort of measurable smallmouth population at all is a success? According to the guys I spoke with, the DNR is focusing all smallmouth stocking efforts on Blue Ridge only. Either way, hopefully they can successfully restore the native population in the lake.

brdyhll

It’s been years since I went there but when I used to go there always caught small mouth on spinner baits and top water plugs. But it was usually in the spring. Caught them on rocky points/banks and on humps. There is a point that comes out by the marina. Probably a well known spot idk. But that spot used to hold a lot of small mouth on it. Caught them there on Carolina rig with green pumpkin baby brush hog. Also I think there called mean mouths. Small mouth spot mix. Super fun to catch. And remember keep any spots caught outta the lake