Lake Burton/Moccasin Creek State Park

martinc

The wife and I are headed up to Moccasin Creek St Park on Wednesday for a N.Georgia camping and kayaking vacation. Are their any decent places to fish near the park? Its our first time staying at the park and our first time being on Lake Burton. I've past by it numerous times but don't know a thing about the lake.

Martin

KDarsey

Depending on your age you can fish in the park or anyone can fish from the yellow pole near the fish house out to the lake. Some big fish have been caught there.
There is Wildcat creek about 10 minutes away to the left when leaving the park.
Also you can go to the upper Tallulah off Persimmon Road. Go north on 197 to Hiway 76 & go right. Persimmon is on the left just past the storage buildings you see on the right. Look for the sign on the left about 6 (?) miles down Persimmon on the left. Prettiest place in the world. (If you see a sign there for Tate City you are on the right track.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there are several streams around the lake or within a short 1o or 15 drive. Or are you wanting to lake fish on your kayak?

martinc

Yes Pappy, we're wanting to try the lake some. We'll be there Wed-Sunday so we'll have alot of time on our hands. Since we're taking the dog with us we're gonna take just one kayak so the wife and I will be taking turns. It would be nice to find a few fish from shore so that we both can fish.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Yes Pappy, we're wanting to try the lake some. We'll be there Wed-Sunday so we'll have alot of time on our hands. Since we're taking the dog with us we're gonna take just one kayak so the wife and I will be taking turns. It would be nice to find a few fish from shore so that we both can fish.

they are renting kayaks at the state park there. You might be able to find a dog sitter and both of you go out at one time.

One the east side of Clayton, there is Bettys Creek, and the Chatooga River. Upstream from Warwoman, it is year round. Also in the Smithgall Woods, there is catch/release fishing.