Lake Burton record brown trout caught

lampern

Lake Record Brown from Burton
(From Fisheries Supervisor Anthony Rabern) — Our congratulations go out this week to Tom Fox, a local Rabun County angler, who caught this beast of a brown while fishing Lake Burton on Memorial Day! The behemoth weighed 12 pounds 4 oz on a certified scale, and would eclipse the current lake record if our friends at Georgia Outdoor News decide to certify Tom’s catch. What an awesome fish!

hopper

Link to article? Wonder what he caught it on and if he was targeting browns?

OwlRNothing

Nice! I was wondering how they were doing in there the other night when I couldn't sleep. I guess they're doing well. :)

lampern

Because the DNR has said the population is very low. Trout do not reproduce in the lake.

The lake is typically stocked annually with brown trout, but the supply of brown trout has been lacking in our hatcheries over the past three years; therefore, the trout fishery has plummeted. There may be a few holdovers, which should be of trophy proportions by now.

Brown trout can live far longer than 3 years. So the only conclusion is folks are keeping them and not letting them go or the trout are dying during the summer.

Assuming standard 9-10 inch stocked trout.

And there should be no problem with folks keeping their limit of 8 trout.

Its not specifically managed for big holdover trout like Lake Jocassee in South Carolina.

Last edited:

jrickman

Wasn't the source of most of the browns in the lake (the hatchery) shut down for renovations last year?

Because the DNR has said the population is very low. Trout do not reproduce in the lake.

Brown trout can live far longer than 3 years. So the only conclusion is folks are keeping them and not letting them go or the trout are dying during the summer.

Assuming standard 9-10 inch stocked trout.

And there should be no problem with folks keeping their limit of 8 trout.

Its not specifically managed for big holdover trout like Lake Jocassee in South Carolina.
25 years ago the DNR reported that trout could not reproduce in the chatahoochee river below buford dam! They later walked that statement back after discovering that they can & do reproduce there! Is it possible that they might be wrong ? Just wondering!

OwlRNothing

Saying the DNR "walked that statement back" is a mighty kind way to put it. LOL

They basically said nothing for years, even though anglers were proving that brown trout were reproducing there. That said, the people IN the DNR - well, they're human like the rest of us and most of them are great men and women... but the bureaucracy that is the DNR and state gubmint? Heh. That's another story imho.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Here’s what a flood control river can produce. Yes, they reproduce there though not native.

796BD9F4-F2EC-429D-936A-3F169CD92D3C.jpeg

lampern

25 years ago the DNR reported that trout could not reproduce in the chatahoochee river below buford dam! They later walked that statement back after discovering that they can & do reproduce there! Is it possible that they might be wrong ? Just wondering!

I believe the brown trout come from South Carolina and SC only raises brown trout that cannot reproduce.

NWS

Wild & BIG Brown Trout exist and thrive in many N. GA trout streams. I have fished several “small” headwater brook trout type creeks high up in elevation that surprisingly have produced many nice 14” to 16” naturally occurring Browns. Many trout fishermen are unaware of these Browns in these creeks because they are too noisy and and spook these ultra wary Browns. Larry Padget, the former Lake Burton WMA Manager who rode around in his Jeep with his friendly Golden Retriever from decades ago, told me, believe it or not, that the heavily stocked trout streams had some bona fide monster Browns that fed on stocked trout in most of the very popular “put & take streams”. Fishing for these big Browns is more hunting than fishing. A very stealthy and thoughtful approach is needed.