Lake Burton this Morning/Evening w/pics & videos

Scout'nStripers

Well done you two. Keep catching!
:fine:
Thanks Steve. If you haven't made a trip up to Burton yet, take it from me, it's worth the drive.

We just got back from Lake Burton after being there since Wednesday. This was my first trip up there to do some fishing and the lake didn't let us down. We really appreciate all the info ya'll gave us and it helped a lot.

The trout fishing was awesome for me. Lisa....not so much. She broke a very nice trout off first thing this morning and that kind set the tone for the morning, but all in all it was a great trip. I have to say that the bass fishing was pretty good and we saw some big ole bucket mouths while we were here.

I was especially proud of Lisa and her largemouth. I explained to her earlier when the fish started surfacing, timing is the key. There's a very small window when the bass are whacking bait on top, you can slip a lure in and the bass will hit whatever is moving. We watched a few big bass surface in the distance and Lisa was just sitting on ready with the topwater bait dangling from the rod tip. I saw a fish surface right in front of the boat 10 yards from where Lisa was standing and she tossed it perfectly into the area the bass was chasing the blueback. She twitched it once and the bass turned on it. She held it steady and then twitched it one more time. All I saw was a boil and I looked up at her rod tip just as it doubled over. She put the hooks in him when I heard her drag go off and I watched the fish surface twice to shake the hook but he couldn't shake it. I knew that fish was coming in the boat. That right there made the whole trip worth it. If I hadn't caught a fish the whole time I was there, I would have still went home happy.......maybe.:cry:

Burton is a awesome lake and we can't wait to go back in the fall when the leaves are turning. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Scout'nStripers

Congrats on a great trip to Burton and many congrats to Lisa on her personal best!
Thanks Fred. We appreciate all the info you gave us. When we come back in the fall, we're going to bring the big skiff so we can use live bait and have a little more room to fish. I'll bet the sunrise and sunsets are awesome when the leaves are turning and we can't wait to go back.

Off Shore Tackle Side Planer Boards

Tried a prop bait and 2 different poppers. Tried underspins, swimbaits, plastics, dropshot, unweighted flukes, jerks, cranks and a whole host of other baits. This clear water makes it tough. As soon as you get the boat close to them they move off. I'm gonna break out the big Z9R Swimbait on em in the morning. I wouldn't mind catching a nice bass, but I'm more focused on trout. I probably wouldn't even mess with the bass if Lisa wasn't here.

This may be a solution to your Clear Water problems. Give them a try. I use them when I am Walleye fishing on Lake Michigan at Big and Little Bay de Noc areas near Escanaba Michigan.

The Off Shore Tackle® Side Planers are ballasted to run effortlessly in rough and tough waters off of your rod line. The planer features a stationary flag, two OR19 releases, two 6/32 screws, 2 nylon nuts and one split ring. The Off Shore Tackle® Side Planer comes in both left and right models, and both are built to be stable and durable to result in increased performance on the water.

FEATURES:

Runs effortlessly in tough waters off your rod line
Durable and sturdy for better performance on the water
Ballast keeps planer upright
Stationary flag included
2 OR19 releases, 2 6/32 screws, 2 nylon nuts
1 split ring
Instructions included
Model: OR12
Off Shore Tackle

Scout'nStripers

This may be a solution to your Clear Water problems. Give them a try. I use them when I am Walleye fishing on Lake Michigan at Big and Little Bay de Noc areas near Escanaba Michigan.

The Off Shore Tackle® Side Planers are ballasted to run effortlessly in rough and tough waters off of your rod line. The planer features a stationary flag, two OR19 releases, two 6/32 screws, 2 nylon nuts and one split ring. The Off Shore Tackle® Side Planer comes in both left and right models, and both are built to be stable and durable to result in increased performance on the water.

FEATURES:

Runs effortlessly in tough waters off your rod line
Durable and sturdy for better performance on the water
Ballast keeps planer upright
Stationary flag included
2 OR19 releases, 2 6/32 screws, 2 nylon nuts
1 split ring
Instructions included
Model: OR12
Off Shore Tackle
I saw those Offshore planer boards over at BP last time I was there. Pretty fancy price tag. I'll give it some thought. You're right, I shoulda brought my planer boards and gave it a shot. Good info.:cheers:

You know, myself and a couple of my team members had dinner and a few drinks with the owner of Offshore planers a few years back after a big striper tournament on lake Norman. He was an interesting little fella. He kinda inspired me to make my own planer boards. Been making them ever since.

Rabun

Scoutin, it was nice meeting you and Lisa up on Burton this weekend. Sounds like you had a great time and spent lots of quality time on the water...and you managed to put a few fish in the boat...what a bonus :)

I ended the morning Saturday with 4 trout...all about 2 pounds. Sunday morning my brother In Law Randy joined me and we caught three and a small bass.

Caught everything on the lower end of the lake with all but one coming off of that boat house I mentioned to you. Caught all trout between 23-25 feet on pointer 65's in American Shad color trolled at 2.5 mph per the GPS about 80 feet behind the boat.

Did you happen to see the bald eagles this weekend while you were on the water?

Scout'nStripers

Scoutin, it was nice meeting you and Lisa up on Burton this weekend. Sounds like you had a great time and spent lots of quality time on the water...and you managed to put a few fish in the boat...what a bonus :)

I ended the morning Saturday with 4 trout...all about 2 pounds. Sunday morning my brother In Law Randy joined me and we caught three and a small bass.

Caught everything on the lower end of the lake with all but one coming off of that boat house I mentioned to you. Caught all trout between 23-25 feet on pointer 65's in American Shad color trolled at 2.5 mph per the GPS about 80 feet behind the boat.

Did you happen to see the bald eagles this weekend while you were on the water?
It was good to meet you too Rabun. We really appreciate the info. Lisa broke a good one off in front of the boat house you told us about. We also had a few good whacks on our cranks, but didn't get hooked up. I realized that the trout hit the cranks better over a shallower bottom. If we were trolling for deeper suspended fish, the trout would run up and swipe at it but wouldn't take it.
We did see the Bald Eagle and got some video and close up pictures of him. He was fishing the same area we were fishing in the evenings.
Thanks again for the help Rabun! Maybe we'll see you up there again in the fall.:cheers:

Last edited:

Rabun

Sounds good Scoutin...always a good thing when you'r fishing with the eagles.

For sure let me know when you going up again. I love fishing in the fall up there. I don't catch as many but the views more than make up for it.

Tight lines

burtontrout

Rabun,

I think we crossed paths on Sunday Morning. I was headed out of the wildcat moccasin area. I past a white sea pro and I waved. I was on a tan Pontoon with my 2 kids and wife.

Rabun

Darn sorry I missed you burton. I was probably just coming in from fishing. I spoke with a couple of guy's fishing out of a pontoon Sat morning thinking it might be you...they weren't. Hope you had a great weekend and caught a few keepers. Were you able to make it up to wildcat creek.