Lake Chatuge Video - Updated

cumberland

The last few years i see bass fishermen popping the fish in the head to remove lures. I have fished for 30 years and never done this to a fish. I think people should show more respect to the fish. I think this got started by people seeing tournament guys on TV.

LTZ25

I got to try that drop shot method , you are good at it .
I can't stand to see fishermen hold up a big bass by the mouth and try to get it to stand straight out . Nice video !!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Nice video. Where is that shot at 2:40 with the cars from? Looks like the dam at Nottely, because there is no traffic on Chatuge's dam only foot traffic. Either way nice catches.....

craazyboutbass

The last few years i see bass fishermen popping the fish in the head to remove lures. I have fished for 30 years and never done this to a fish. I think people should show more respect to the fish. I think this got started by people seeing tournament guys on TV.

+1 No need to pop them out like that and possibly do damage to the jaw. Wiggle the hook until you find a good angle to slide it out. Takes no time.

yeah man you really need to respect the fish. They are very intelligent and smart creatures. i think it would be better if people just took pictures of them instead of harming them with hooks and nets. i mean it would be the same concept of using a rod and reel, just less harmful to the fish.

The mtn man

0:34 how to knock out a spot before removing the hook.
When you knock them upside the head, you don't have to worry about them flopping around while your getting the hook out, kind of like the guy on Alaskan bush people does. Good job to the kid , he seems to be a fine bass fisherman. It don't bother me that he beats on them after he catches them, spots are invasive to chatuge.

HossBog

I agree. I've been releasing bass for over 50 years, never have to do this. Respect. It goes a long way and means a lot.

Now, Houstonmc, not to make you feel bad at all. That's another thing, a real old time Georgian like me will never want to hurt a person's feelings. So don't take it hard. But, I would sure like to see that practice stop. I reckon it might have been one of them yankee fishermen who started that head knocking. Oh me, done gone and offended a yankee now. I better stop...:stir:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Heck, knock 'em in the head and throw 'em on the bank for all I care. Bring back the smallies!

I would like to let everyone know that the fish made it back in the water by the end of the day and swam away without hesitation. I'm sorry for the incorrectness of the removal of my jig. I just find it to be the quickest way to get some of those light wire jigs out; it beats bending the hook out with a pair of pliers.

The mtn man

Don't worry about that, after a weigh in recently at Gibson cove , bass were floating everywhere, knocking one in the head to get a hook out , then releasing bass is evidently the least of their worries, lol, when you come back to chatuge, do whatever to them and throw them in a cooler and call me, I'd like to have a mess of spots.

Tmpr111

Nice video and catch. Chatuge beat me but I'm a Crappie fisherman.

Looks like your thread got somewhat jacked. And we wonder why... http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=9615669#post9615669

+1^

There's nothing wrong with popping a jig out that way, just gotta figure it out without actually popping it's head. Most pros I've seen do it right, of course they've done it 1000 times, but they've got it down and it doesn't even touch the fish most times. I'd think it hurt the fish less being quick rather than slowly yanking and tugging. Just my opinion though.

Nice video bud.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Where the bass was hooked makes it hard if not almost impossible to pop out like that,that side plate is very,very hard........I encourage you to keep every spot you catch within the limit

Mr. Cawley

Houstonmcclurkan,

Sweet video. Chatuge seems like a beautiful lake from watching the video.

Do you fish much at Blue Ridge or Nottely? My wife and I will be in Suches, GA during the third week of August. I plan on fishing Blue Ridge, but I'm debating on fishing Nottely. I'm really hoping to hook some small jaws while I'm up there!

May your lines stay taut my friend!

Houstonmcclurkan,

Sweet video. Chatuge seems like a beautiful lake from watching the video.

Do you fish much at Blue Ridge or Nottely? My wife and I will be in Suches, GA during the third week of August. I plan on fishing Blue Ridge, but I'm debating on fishing Nottely. I'm really hoping to hook some small jaws while I'm up there!

May your lines stay taut my friend!

Yes I fish both lakes. I haven't been to either one in about 2 weeks. Here is a video from lake nottely!

This time of year your best bet is a jig and/or a drop shot. The lake blue ridge bass will slam a drop shot with a watermelon red trick worm (I dye the tail chartreuse) around rocks near the mouths of creeks. Lake Nottely fishes pretty good around the dam, and Ivylog creek. drop shot a green pumpkin lizard, or slowly drag a brown and red jig. The key this time of year is to keep an eye on your electronics and track down the big schools... and fish slow, really slow.

Hope this helps

Dryzdale

+1^

There's nothing wrong with popping a jig out that way, just gotta figure it out without actually popping it's head. Most pros I've seen do it right, of course they've done it 1000 times, but they've got it down and it doesn't even touch the fish most times. I'd think it hurt the fish less being quick rather than slowly yanking and tugging. Just my opinion though.

Nice video bud.

I agree with you Tmpr.
My point is, the kid posted an good video of nice fish and some folks hack him for the way he handles the fish. Every mans ways seem right in his own mind.