Lake Lanier - 12/2/18

Pilot Mike

Lake: Lake Lanier
Date: 2 DEC 2018 - 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Weather: Partly cloudy and 60's changing to clear skies and warming. Light west wind.
Water Conditions: Clear. Found some muddy and stained water in the back of a creek arm. 56 to 61 degrees.

Summary:

I'm new to the area and new to Lake Lanier, so I thought I would go take a look. I dumped the boat in at Duckett Mill Public Boat Ramp. I started at a point with rocks placed to control errosion that was part of the Duckett Mill Campground. I tried a Rapala DT 10 and a finesse jig with no success.

Next, I ran to a creek arm on the west side of the lake just south of the Hwy 53 bridge. I stopped at a secondary point on the south side of the creek arm and tried the finesse jig. I held the boat in 15 feet of water and casted towards the point. Nothing. I thought that the rain might have dirtied and warmed the water, so I ran to the back of the creek arm.

It was muddy in the very back with some flooded brush. The mud transitioned to stained as you went towards the main lake. The water temperature on the main lake was 56 and it was 61 in the back of the creek arm. I tried the finesse jig around the flooded brush and some boat houses. Then, I tried a black and chartreuse squarebill in the same area. I started fishing my way out, and gave up on the warm dirty water experiment after about 30 minutes.

Finally, I exited the creek, went south, and found a spot on the west side of the lake with three points coming together with two ditches in between them. I scanned the first point on my Lowrance and didn't see anything of note. I started idling back into the ditch, and I started noticing more bait. I could see a few game fish here and there, but no big school. I marked a few of the most promising looking parts and went to work trying to catch a deep fish.

I tried a 1/2 oz War Eagle spoon, and I couldn't get any of the fish to react to the spoon on the sonar at all. I switched to a NedMiki rig, and as I was about to throw in the towel, I got my first bite. It was a little guy, maybe 11 inches, but it let me know that I was seeing what I thought I was seeing on my depth finder. Soon after, I caught a fat 15 inch fish and another 15 incher that was a little bit skinnier.

I caught all of my fish in 41' - 43' of water. That's the deepest I've ever caught a bass, so that was fun.

After the third fish, it was time to head home in an unsuccessful attempt to beat the Atlanta traffic.

20181202_143714.jpg20181202_144224.jpg20181202_150658.jpg

Question:

I'm new to the area, and I'm trying to learn the lake. Does anyone know of any bass clubs looking for new members?

Coenen

Solid report. Nice catches!

Tarpfisher

Question:

I'm new to the area, and I'm trying to learn the lake. Does anyone know of any bass clubs looking for new members?

Mike- What area do you live near?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

j_seph

Dropshot find brushpiles is best I can tell ya

Spook

PM me, lived on the lake 35+ years. No charge, could use a fishing partner during the week. Mark

marceggers

Lake: Lake Lanier
Date: 2 DEC 2018 - 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Weather: Partly cloudy and 60's changing to clear skies and warming. Light west wind.
Water Conditions: Clear. Found some muddy and stained water in the back of a creek arm. 56 to 61 degrees.

Summary:

I'm new to the area and new to Lake Lanier, so I thought I would go take a look. I dumped the boat in at Duckett Mill Public Boat Ramp. I started at a point with rocks placed to control errosion that was part of the Duckett Mill Campground. I tried a Rapala DT 10 and a finesse jig with no success.

Next, I ran to a creek arm on the west side of the lake just south of the Hwy 53 bridge. I stopped at a secondary point on the south side of the creek arm and tried the finesse jig. I held the boat in 15 feet of water and casted towards the point. Nothing. I thought that the rain might have dirtied and warmed the water, so I ran to the back of the creek arm.

It was muddy in the very back with some flooded brush. The mud transitioned to stained as you went towards the main lake. The water temperature on the main lake was 56 and it was 61 in the back of the creek arm. I tried the finesse jig around the flooded brush and some boat houses. Then, I tried a black and chartreuse squarebill in the same area. I started fishing my way out, and gave up on the warm dirty water experiment after about 30 minutes.

Finally, I exited the creek, went south, and found a spot on the west side of the lake with three points coming together with two ditches in between them. I scanned the first point on my Lowrance and didn't see anything of note. I started idling back into the ditch, and I started noticing more bait. I could see a few game fish here and there, but no big school. I marked a few of the most promising looking parts and went to work trying to catch a deep fish.

I tried a 1/2 oz War Eagle spoon, and I couldn't get any of the fish to react to the spoon on the sonar at all. I switched to a NedMiki rig, and as I was about to throw in the towel, I got my first bite. It was a little guy, maybe 11 inches, but it let me know that I was seeing what I thought I was seeing on my depth finder. Soon after, I caught a fat 15 inch fish and another 15 incher that was a little bit skinnier.

I caught all of my fish in 41' - 43' of water. That's the deepest I've ever caught a bass, so that was fun.

After the third fish, it was time to head home in an unsuccessful attempt to beat the Atlanta traffic.

View attachment 951632View attachment 951633View attachment 951634

Question:

marceggers

Yonah Mt. Bass Club is good but it doesn't start new year until April 1. Call Mike at 706-969-1613. They fish second Saturday of each month at Lanier, Burton, Chatuge or Hartwell.

Teh Wicked

From what I gather, deep water is the name of the game this time of year.

get some plastics from www.lanierbaits.com and get your drop shot game strong and you can boat a lot of fish.