Lake Lanier Advice?

AliBubba

Hi folks, looking to do something different... paddle my kayak to an island on Lanier and spend the night or two "off the grid". In my past years I have paddled 34 miles in the Okefenokee. However, I was looking for put-in and maybe an 8-10 miles or less paddle to an island. Don't know the regs if a fire is permitted and an over night is OK? Thanks in advance for any help!!

dank1296

Think officially not legal but if low key doubt you would have a problem. Maybe take a lantern instead of trying a fire.

hopper

There has been some people shacking up on islands and corp properties around the lake. Dont be surprised if you get a ticket and a courtesy ride back to the ramp if you get caught. I dont know all the regulations so maybee give them a call and ask what options you have.

HydraYak

Yes you can get ticketed and forced to move if you attempt to camp on an island in Lanier.

Maybe it would be best to book a campsite near an island and paddle out to it during the day.

eddytrash

i would put in on the north end and paddle north to Don Carter st park. far less boat traffic and legal camping...