Lake Lanier April Catfish Meat Haul

LittleDrummerBoy

In April, I focus my catfish efforts on creek backs, 10-20 feet of water, live bluebacks on the bottom (for flatheads) or cut herring or shad on the bottom (for channel catfish). Should be good fishing all month, but as the water warms it shifts from fewer fish to more turtles.

Josh B

It was crazy when I caught some the other day in 3' of water. I was looking for crappie beds and caught 4 nice cats. If I can get caught up at work I'm going to go fishing with you one day. I work 6 days a week so I'll have to ask off.

LittleDrummerBoy

It was crazy when I caught some the other day in 3' of water. I was looking for crappie beds and caught 4 nice cats. If I can get caught up at work I'm going to go fishing with you one day. I work 6 days a week so I'll have to ask off.

If I recall correctly, you're close to Oconee. Pick the day Oconee or Lanier.

Josh B

I live pretty close to Oconee. About 20 yards from the lake! I've got a 24' pontoon ready at the dock. I'm not far from Blue Springs if you're familiar with that part of the lake. I've been figuring out some spots to fish.

LittleDrummerBoy

I live pretty close to Oconee. About 20 yards from the lake! I've got a 24' pontoon ready at the dock. I'm not far from Blue Springs if you're familiar with that part of the lake. I've been figuring out some spots to fish.

Love that part of the lake.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
In April, I focus my catfish efforts on creek backs, 10-20 feet of water, live bluebacks on the bottom (for flatheads) or cut herring or shad on the bottom (for channel catfish). Should be good fishing all month, but as the water warms it shifts from fewer fish to more turtles.

How plentiful would you say the flatheads are at Lanier? I've caught 2 by chance while bass fishing but they're kind of hard to come by at Lanier and Allatoona I've been told even though they're present in both lakes

LittleDrummerBoy

How plentiful would you say the flatheads are at Lanier? I've caught 2 by chance while bass fishing but they're kind of hard to come by at Lanier and Allatoona I've been told even though they're present in both lakes

I don't often fish for catfish with live bait like we did today. Usually we use cut blueback herring, cut shad, or shrimp which is a channel catfish only proposition. Flatheads strongly prefer a live fish, which is all we have caught them on. The three today was the first time we have caught more than one, but catching multiple channel catfish is very common for Lanier.

I would be slow to conclude that means there are a lot fewer flatheads in Lanier, only that they are somewhere other than where we are fishing most of the year, but they show up in predictable locations in April.

Big7

The Oracle
Love that part of the lake.
Me too. My x- inlaws have a house in the second cove south of Blue Springs. Be on your left going south. I heard my former FIL passed away not to long ago.

My former BIL had a running plan for a few years. If we hadn't talked by Thursday, it was assumed we would meet Friday's, after work for the weekend.

Around Blue Springs is tore up with catfish.
He was/is a tournament Bass fisherman so Bass fishing was mostly what we did together. I liked to catfish when I wasn't with him. Don't get me wrong, I do love Bass fishing !!

I got ruined about 20 years ago when I started fishing Santee- Cooper 2 or three times a year, every year.

Nothing to catching several huge cats there and all the 30 or less pounders you feel like cleaning.

Oconee is definitely my favorite big lake in Georgia. I haven't fished the lakes in way South Georgia.. Id sure like to but I don't kniw very many folks way down there

Congratulations on the fine haul. Should make a few messes to eat for sure !!!

Josh B

The small ones at Santee are the big ones here. I've got to plan a trip back over there. I've only caught one flat head on Lanier but caught plenty in allatoona around little river.