Lake Lanier Bank Fishing Report 6/21

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Hello again GON family! I've been doing a ton of fishing on Lanier and Allatoona recently and I'm just here to drop a report on what's been going on and give the boatless guys some hope out there. At lot of guys seem to think I'm just a pond guy, but in reality, I fish EVERYWHERE. I just fished West Point last week in addition to lanier and Allatoona and also Hilton Head south Carolina and Tybee island GA this past weekend. (All of which will be separate reports) anyways, here goes:

Bass fishing has been good! This time of year on Lanier, you can't really depend on the fish to be as predictable as they are in the spring time. Right now the fish are Post spawn and beginning to transition to their summer patterns, but you can still catch some up shallow early and late in the day. The Spots and also largemouth have been hitting a combination of topwater, worms and jigs. The crankbait and spinnerbait have been producing a few here and there but aren't as productive. Your best Bet is to hit a milk run of spots. Focus on points, docks, laydowns and brush piles near shore. If you have A lake map you can see some fish attractors placed by the DNR near the bank and fish them. The better Points have been the ones nearest to river and creek channels and with steep drop offs. The best fishing has been in areas where there is a combination of bait fish and cover/structure. Baitfish are key right now. If you're on the Shore, look for fish busting on top and toss them a walking bait or a popper. I've been doing well with a River2Sea Rover, yellow magic popper and reaction innovations vixen. Same for Boaters, but if you can find a deep hump with brush 15-30ft deep with bait on it, you'll be golden. After the fish quit topwater and go deep, I hit deeper areas and riprap banks with the drop shot worm and a football jig. Cast parallel to the bank and fish slowly. Then work your way out to deeper water. after a few casts, go down the bank and repeat the process. Another mid day technique that has been effective is a Texas rigged worm flipped around docks and laydowns. If you can't find fish or you need to cover water quickly, a lipless crankbait has been the search bait of choice. Remember, if you're not getting bit and you're not seeing activity, the fish aren't there and its time to MOVE! They won't come to you, you have to go to them. However, you can check productive spots at different times of the day and the fish may move in and out of the area.

Catfish: Fishing Has Been Best Late Afternoon On Into The Night. If you're looking for eating size channels (2-8lbs) there's plenty of them! I've been racking up numbers of catfish in the double digits multiple nights near deep water. Live bait hasn't produced many fish and neither has cut bait. The most productive baits have been whole nightcrawlers and chicken livers. Make A basic slip sinker rig and tie on a 2/0 circle hook and you're ready to go! Don't forget that headlamp!

Gear used:
RODS-
Duckett Ghost XL 7'3 MH
Duckett Terex Crankin' 7'6" MH
Duckett Ghost Spinning 7' M
Duckett Triad 7'3" MH

Reels-
Shimano Scorpion DC17 (JDM)
13 Fishing Origin C
Daiwa CR80HS
Daiwa Laguna 3000

Line-
Sufix Pro mix mono 17lb
Sufix InvisX fluorocarbon 12lb
Berkley pro grade fluorocarbon 10lb
Berkley fluorocarbon leader 8lb

Baits-
Roboworm 6" & 7" straight tail worms (any variation of morning dawn or margarita mutilator colors always work)

Zoom ribbon tail and U-tail worms (junebug, green pumpkin with chartreuse tip)

Custom made jig (I make my own) strike king rage craw trailer. Any brownish or greenish pattern will work fine.

Strike king Redeye Shad (chrome colors work best)

River2sea Rover (bone and powder colors)

Happy fishing y'all! Pics from the past week in a bit!

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Small Spots were spitting up minnows and small herring. A small jerkbait may have matched the hatch but I didn't have one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190626-223506.png
    Screenshot_20190626-223506.png
    814.8 KB · Views: 12

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
3 keeper cats. Rest went back

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190626-223353.png
    Screenshot_20190626-223353.png
    838.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20190626-223524.png
    Screenshot_20190626-223524.png
    928.2 KB · Views: 10

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Surprise fish! Caught A 10lb flathead cat middle of the night on a crankbait! Didn't even know they were in Lanier. nobody talks about them. Hear about as much about them as you do the trout and walleye on this lake. Tried to upload the good Pics of all these fish but they won't load
I tried!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190626-223637.png
    Screenshot_20190626-223637.png
    574.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20190626-223627.png
    Screenshot_20190626-223627.png
    377.8 KB · Views: 17