Lake Seminole, Fl/Ga line Hydrilla problems

sgrantham

For 6 years I've being applying for a gator permit on Seminole finally built up enough points to get one. Well I'm here this weekend and wish I had put in for somewhere else. I admit I don't know the lake that great and it may be better somewhere else. I've only been here once and that was twenty years ago, don't remember it being like this. Last night we saw plenty of gators, mostly small, but you couldn't hardly get to them nor cast to them. Forget running a trolling motor and my 30hp Johnson is struggling. I live three hours away, wish I had done my homework better I guess. My wife got a tag for zone 4 we went to Banks Lake last weekend and got an 8'1” 181lbs one. Was hoping to fill mine here these weekend, been a dream to come hunt here for several years.

Redbow

I would never have thought Santee-Coopers Lake Marion could have been mostly cleared of hydrilla and other weeds decades ago. But grass carp did it and it really did not take that long. The carp were sterilized before being released into the lake and they did the job just fine.

All you have to do is take a look at Lake Okeechobee. It was only 5 years ago that it wasn’t unusual to catch 25-30 bass on a normal day. And 30+ lb bags were the norm in tournaments. my brother and I caught 28 lbs and ended up in 11th place.
Now if you catch 10-15 bass, you’ve had an exceptional day. Tournament weights are 27-30 to win. With only 1or 2 teams breaking that weight. The state is still spraying every day. If it’s green, it gets sprayed. Native or non native, they don’t care. The spray companies get paid by the amount of spray/chemicals dispensed.

Last edited by a moderator: