Lake Tugalo campsites?

salzy14

Hey everyone,
i’m hoping to gather some details from anyone who’s fished or visited Lake Tugalo before.
I’m planning on taking my brother and my friend there to fish and was wondering if there are places around the lake where you can camp for a night, or if there’s no places specifically for that if it would be allowed to just pull your boat up somewhere and hang hammocks for the night.
Any details would be appreciated as I’ve never been there and it’s a bit of a drive for me but I would like to go the end of next month. Really like how there’s no habitation and it’s just nature.

Thanks!

SouthGa Fisher

There are a few places, but if you aren't there maybe mid-week you probably wont get one. Some people go throw a tent up Wed/Thurs to "save" a spot. Tried to take my daughter Saturday night and it was all wrapped up. You can pull up anywhere it's flat enough though. PM me closer to your trip and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

I pull people out of there almost every weekend, so make sure you have 4WD.

salzy14

There are a few places, but if you aren't there maybe mid-week you probably wont get one. Some people go throw a tent up Wed/Thurs to "save" a spot. Tried to take my daughter Saturday night and it was all wrapped up. You can pull up anywhere it's flat enough though. PM me closer to your trip and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

I pull people out of there almost every weekend, so make sure you have 4WD.

Thank you very much for the information!

We would be getting there on a Friday afternoon, so if the established campsites are taken I’ll be happy to find a suitable spot. I have an old Durango with 4WD and good tires so as long as it’s not raining i should be ok.

I’ll PM you for updates that week if we’re still going!

greg_n_clayton

That is my favorite lake ! There is a spot at the landing that folks hardly ever use if the others are all took. It is across the creek on the left when you get to the landing in the back of that little cove. There are very few "flat" spots around the lake ! Straight across the lake from the landing on the SC side in the back of a cove is a small place with a branch.

RatherB

BANNED
There’s about 12 boat access campsites around lake. The top 3 or 4 best spots are usually full. I’ve never seen them all full. There are a couple places on the GA landing side you could camp but don’t count on those. There’s also great camping down on Yonah Lake launch ramp right below Tugalo dam.

salzy14

There’s about 12 boat access campsites around lake. The top 3 or 4 best spots are usually full. I’ve never seen them all full. There are a couple places on the GA landing side you could camp but don’t count on those. There’s also great camping down on Yonah Lake launch ramp right below Tugalo dam.

That’s great info thank you!

I read somewhere that the Yonah Lake campsites were closed for renovations, do you know if they are open now?

skiff20

Ga. Power is working on the Tugalo **** and the campground on Yonah, at the base of Tugalo Dam is closed. It is going to used as a staging area for equipment and supply for the work on the dam. I think it is going to be close for about a year. There is also a ramp at the dam on Lake Tugalo but you have to have a key to or a friend that works for Ga. Power with a key to get through the gate.

salzy14

Tugalo was packed this evening.
Btw those are my catfish jugs and I will return for them in the morning. thanks

I was primarily going to go there to try to fish for walleye, but I thought about putting some lines out overnight for catfish, do you have good luck there?

RatherB

BANNED
I was primarily going to go there to try to fish for walleye, but I thought about putting some lines out overnight for catfish, do you have good luck there?

Not really a good catfish lake. There’s a few in it. If you can find the walleye there are some good ones in there. A boy that works for me caught an 8 pounder last year there and some guy from SC caught a 10 pounder last month.

greg_n_clayton

Not really a good catfish lake. There’s a few in it. If you can find the walleye there are some good ones in there. A boy that works for me caught an 8 pounder last year there and some guy from SC caught a 10 pounder last month.
I been catching catfish outta that lake all my life ! Jugs don't work real well there unless you stay with them over night and keep them moved back up the lake. When they are making power.....they will be drawn even faster to the dam. Bush hooks work good
I drop baskets in it in the colder months. The lake is very deep...even up against the banks. I have always had better luck catching catfish where the water is not really deep at the banks !

salzy14

I been catching catfish outta that lake all my life ! Jugs don't work real well there unless you stay with them over night and keep them moved back up the lake. When they are making power.....they will be drawn even faster to the dam. Bush hooks work good
I drop baskets in it in the colder months. The lake is very deep...even up against the banks. I have always had better luck catching catfish where the water is not really deep at the banks !

Good tips, that makes sense, they usually cruise the shallows at night.