Land clearing and large pines

We just recently bought 10 acres of land in middle ga (Bibb county). We are looking to start clearing land about 2 acres for our home place. There are around 30 large pines that need cutting. It seems that they would be good for lumber. Does anyone think that a logger would even consider that small a number of trees. Or maybe someone on a smaller level would be interested. Not looking to sell maybe trade out the work. Does anyone have any experience in this or know someone that has done this.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
A timber company probably would not be interested. Your grader will probably know someone who will haul them away.

buckmanmike

If your in an area of larger land owners and they are cutting, the cutters may take yours for free if they dont have to move equipment far.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Not looking to sell maybe trade out the work.

I doubt you will find anyone to trade out the work.

I'm a builder and I have a mill and it's difficult for me to find folks to take the trees after they are down, delimbed, stacked and ready to load.

Most guys that use a loader(Cat 943/963/ect) ruin the logs getting the trees down. They usually poke big tooth holes right in the best parts of the log.

If they are true saw logs and they are cut to length and aren't damaged you will have a better chance at someone coming to get them.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we just did this for my niece. We cut the logs into 12 ft lengths, loaded them on a flat bed truck, hauled them 20 miles one way to a pole yard, and they brought about $8 a log. These trees were 18 inches or so at the butt cut, and nothing smaller than 8 inches at the small end. It paid for the fuel to cut, load and haul them. Nothing more.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep, just not worth the effort for most. You might cut them small enough to handle and build a log play house for the kids or shed for yourself.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I guess small time pulp wooders are all but gone these days.

zedex

Gator Bait
I'm not sure how far from blackshear you are but theres a company called "Ace Pole" there. They take logs and make power poles from them.