Landscape Level Quail Management?

ryanwhit

A gentleman down the road is trying to convince me to go UGA and study under Dr. Carol. I may. I haven't yet decided. I will definitively apply for an internship at Tall Timbers or Ichuway Plantation. I have been told that about Riverview. I need to give them a call.

Thanks for the advice.

Adam

I did some research with Dr Carrol as an undergrad and he was one of my major professors during my graduate work. Quite a character. A good guy.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Found a couple of coveys on the open pines on the east side of Chickasawhatchee next to Wynnfield. (argument for Landscape Level Quail Management) Took my .410 and my harvest rate suffered (2 birds for 4 shots). Saw a trillion wild turkeys, they seemed like they were behind every pine tree (might be exagerating just a little, but there were more than I have seen in quite some time). Bout half of Chickasaw has been burnt in the past 72 hours it seems, so alot of my places, well, weren't nothing to hold birds. Didn't find any in the power line right of ways either, they are usually good for a covey or three. Me and my pup ended the day with a late, late lunch of cold chicken gizzards, Dr. Pepper and a blueberry pop tart listening to Charley Price singin' "Crazy Arms". In my opinion classical country music is what is appropriate after following a dog all day, rock is more for deer and turkey hunting and as we all know, rap, disco and pop have no place in any of the outdoor pursuits, not even for bream fishin', heck, they aint got no business existing when you think about it.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Went to Elmodel this am, just got back. Dang near had to take a boat anchor to keep my puppy from blowing away, it was windy to say the least. hunted a different part of the wma, they are doing some good improvements down there, if you dont know, it is mainly a dove hunting wma with small grain row crops and corn. They have planted some longleaf pine and wire grass too. No birds though, was just too dang windy, looked like he winded some a couple of times and got real birdy, but alas, the wind would shift and he would look at me like I stole his favorite toy. Musical selection for hunting elmodel was Porter Wagner and Lefty Frizzal and four hotdog king chilli dogs washed down with sunkist orange. I know a few years back I used to be able to find a covey or two there....maybe later this week when the wind dies down.

This is another wma ripe for quail management, it is in baker co. right up the road from Oakview plantation with the ichaway nochaway creek running right through it...slap dab in the middle of the baker co. plantations.

Last edited:

coveyrise90

Hunted 2 1/2 hrs. No wild birds found. Found one covey left over from yesterday... and boy could they fly. Killed one bird out of 6 or so. Hunted some established released coveys on a different part of the property. They have been out for a month or so living in some pineywoods. Had 4 finds. Killed 7 birds. Getting limited to what I can hunt since burning season has started.

Adam