Lanier - 6/20 What a day!

Pauley

Got on the water yesterday a little after 11 and fished until 5:30ish. The bite was awesome and making a few adjustments paid off in finding some bigger fish.

Started fishing where I have been focusing in a couple creeks. Points and humps in around 20' with brush. Was catching fish at each stop, but not much size so decided to start moving out a little deeper. I hit brush a little deeper 28'-30' on the main lake and mouths of creeks and caught at least one at every stop, good ones too.

Each brush pile got the same treatment: few fan casts with a bleeding shad chug bug, (no love on swimbait or FHS so eliminated that early), Spotsticker casting jig in green craw around and in the brush, and DS wackem LJ's obsession and passion.

Caught most fish on top and with jig, but a few good ones on DS. The striper pictured was caught on top and had a school of MONSTER spots with it. I was trying to not let the striper hook up to catch one of the spots, but no luck. Didn't keep exact count but boated 25+ fish with at least a dozen good solid fish.

The new clothing experiment is working well. Actually is cooler with sleeves, buff, and pants. Also not exhausted from being baked all day long.

One of my best days on Lanier and hope I can keep it up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 968

Pauley

Not sure why but can only post one picture at a time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 992

Pauley

And the fish I didn't want to catch :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 978

Lanier Jim

Awesome...Lanier is on right now for sure. Great job dude!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice fish! One question (not picking at you personally, just really curious?) What is the purpose of those little Ninjy masks that everybody wears fishing nowadays? Never saw one in my life until the last couple years, now seems like everybody holding a pole has one on. They for fishing posted land? :)

Browniez

Nice dude!

I'm with you on the clothing experiment, gone to the dry fit shirts with buff as well and it's definitely preferable. What brand pants are you using if you don't mind my asking? I can't find a good breathable pair I like for high heat days.

NC they seriously cut down on nose/lip sun/wind burn. A crunchy peely nose is worse than a full burn to me! Pretty sure they started as a saltwater flats thing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice dude!

I'm with you on the clothing experiment, gone to the dry fit shirts with buff as well and it's definitely preferable. What brand pants are you using if you don't mind my asking? I can't find a good breathable pair I like for high heat days.

NC they seriously cut down on nose/lip sun/wind burn. A crunchy peely nose is worse than a full burn to me! Pretty sure they started as a saltwater flats thing.

Figured it was something like that. Except I see people up here trout fishing in the mountains up under the woods in deep shade wearing them, too. They usually have a Yeti in their Subaru and a pair of Costas and a bunch of Simms stuff on, too. ::ke: :bounce:

BendItBig

Nice dude!

What brand pants are you using if you don't mind my asking? I can't find a good breathable pair I like for high heat days.

REI brand has some really nice light weight pants that are relatively inexpensive. I found them on the clearance rack last year for about $30/pair.

Browniez

Figured it was something like that. Except I see people up here trout fishing in the mountains up under the woods in deep shade wearing them, too. They usually have a Yeti in their Subaru and a pair of Costas and a bunch of Simms stuff on, too. ::ke: :bounce:

Hahaha I know some of these people very well! The Costas are essential when trimming though the rhododendron :rofl:

I'll take ratty gym shorts, old tennis shoes, and a sling bag on the crick myself.

At least on the Tailwater you can just jump in and your as cold as the rockies.

greg@teamlivewire

I didn't get on the lake until about 530, but the bite must have slowed. Caught 5 small DS fish before dark, but the night bite was awesome. Guess that full moon and cooler weather have um eating mid day. Crazy the water water temp has dropped back 5-6 degrees over the last few days.

Pauley

I was always skeptical but it is actually more comfortable. Helps me stay cooler and even if you don't get burnt, getting baked in the sun all day is so draining. I teach golf for a living so I spend all of my work and fun time in the sun, so trying different options to hopefully not have to have stuff cut and frozen off of my face in 20 years.

Pauley

What brand pants are you using if you don't mind my asking? I can't find a good breathable pair I like for high heat days.

I bought a couple pair of Academy's house brand Magellin pants. I looked on their website and didn't see the ones I bought.
I returned the Magellan convertible fishing pants as they did not breath well enough. They had another pair that didn't have he zip off legs for $29.99 that are awesome. Bought a pair of khaki and gray. They seem to be a little better material.

TroyBoy30

I moved out deeper this past weekend as we'll with the same results. More fish should be coming to us and will be even deeper before long. Looks like I need to pick up the jig. I have to switch over to the 1/2 oz for these deeper depths though and I still hate waiting for it at hit bottom.

Totally agree on clothing. It's actually cooler with your skin not exposed to the sun. All you need is some gloves

Pauley

Was looking at the Simms ones they had at Hammonds but didn't like the long index finger. Academy had the Columbia ones but only in the tan/brownish color. Want the white ones so I will have to order some online.

The Simms buff is great with the cut and vented mouth area. I am going to order a couple of the shirts with buff built in that you showed me. I like the design.

stew21

Obviously never heard of a little booger-bear called melanoma.... Face shield/sun block equals happy skin cells

Keep it up Pauly! Good to hear someone's still catchin em

ShoalBandit

I never go fishing without one and I keep a spare in the truck at all times. They not only keep the sun off your face but it's good for mosquitos, biting midges, yellow flies, Asian hydrilla leaf mining flies (aka grass or hydrilla gnats), poison ivy, etc... Driving down the road and pass a dead skunk/animal, landfill, paper mill, rendering plant, stuck in traffic behind the septic truck, etc... Have to use the restroom at the ramp after 50 other guys... Also protects your ears from wind damage at high speeds and keeps bugs out of your mouth if you're a co-angler. They also prevent heat loss and keep rainwater from running down your shirt. There's probably a ton of other uses but that's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I wear a Columbia long sleeve white shirt. This one has the Omni-cool technology. Breathes really well and is cool to the skin.
My pants are full length and they are Columbia also. They have the Omni-cool technology also and are very thin with a strip of netting like fabric on the insides of the leg.
I've been wearing these for several years now and just leave all the other fishing shirts at home.
I bought them from Cabelas on sale for about $60. each. Regular price then was $85. Now some of these shirts run over a $100.
Worth it to me.