Lanier Bass Report 2-22/23 (pics)

Scout'nStripers

Lisa and I got out for a while yesterday from 1pm till 5pm and today from 10am till 2pm. Water surface temps in Bald Ridge creek varied from 50-53. The creek is blown out from the back to the marina. The water is as murkey as my morning coffee with heavy cream. We decided to fish outside the mud line. Yesterday we caught fish very shallow 5-10 feet of water around rocks, blow downs and points during the heat of the day. We were beating the banks with some little crappie rigs with 1/16 ounce jig heads with a few cool looking Bobby Garland crappie plastics in a chartreuse color. The bass loved them and we ended up with 9 bass from small buck bass to a couple of respectable 2-3lbers. Everything we caught was on crappie rods with 4lb test. It was a blast with the little ultra lights and the feisty bass.
Today we decided to troll some deep diving crank baits on some heavier gear (6lb test) and targeted depths of 20-30 feet clipping points. We wound up with 6 bass and 1 striper today. We didn't take any pictures yesterday but we took a few pictures today. Great day to be on the lake. Here's a couple pics from today.

IMAG0098

IMAG0099

IMAG0101

IMAG0319

IMAG0322

Last edited:

GavinC

Nice Jim that looks like fun. I'm down in Fort Myers gonna try and catch some snook and hopefully some tarpon but will be back on the lake Thursday

FMBear

Glad you and Lisa had some great times together catching some fish!! Looking forward to fishing with you this summer!

Hyper Sniper

Great fun out with the wife and catching spots and stripers on crappie rigs. Nice job Jim and Lisa always appreciate your reports.
Bye the way I received your new rig that I won and it looks awesome can't wait to give it a try, and thanks for sending the planer boards with it, I'll catch up with you to square up.

Scout'nStripers

Thanks guys!
Nice Jim that looks like fun. I'm down in Fort Myers gonna try and catch some snook and hopefully some tarpon but will be back on the lake Thursday
Sounds like fun Gavin. Good luck. I hope you catch a big ole tarpon!

Glad you and Lisa had some great times together catching some fish!! Looking forward to fishing with you this summer!
Just a few months away Fred. Looking forward to it!
Great fun out with the wife and catching spots and stripers on crappie rigs. Nice job Jim and Lisa always appreciate your reports.
Bye the way I received your new rig that I won and it looks awesome can't wait to give it a try, and thanks for sending the planer boards with it, I'll catch up with you to square up.
Thanks Dan. We trolled a couple of those rigs in the creek today but didn't have any luck. Those little rigs look like a small group of mice swimming through the water.:hair:
I see you soon.

Lanier Jim

Nice job Jimbo. Did some testing today....pretty good day! I hope to be back wide open this coming week.

LJ

Scout'nStripers

Nice job Jimbo. Did some testing today....pretty good day! I hope to be back wide open this coming week.

LJ
These bass are starting to warm up a little bit Jim. They were a lot more active this weekend than they've been in past weeks. Good luck out there!

jerseycat9

Nice work Jim but what I'm really impressed with is the setup with the bumper and rod holder! I like that idea

Scout'nStripers

Thanks guys. Hopefully this warmer water holds through the next week or two and we should be out of the woods for the upper 40 degree surface temps till next year. I wrote an article for March striper fishing in angler magazine which gives some good pointers on shallow water striper fishing on Lanier. March and April are good months for big shallow water stripers and with a full lake it should be good this spring.
Nice work Jim but what I'm really impressed with is the setup with the bumper and rod holder! I like that idea
Thanks Terry. That dang things been flopping around and trying to fall off for about 5 years now.facepalm: The rod holder is more of a conversation piece rather than a functioning piece of gear.