Lanier crappie progress...

RamblinWreck

Figured I'd start a new thread instead of hijacking other recent threads...

So I've been putting in a lot of time trying to figure out Lanier crappie. I went from catching no crappie at all, to catching them pretty regularly, but it has been tough to find good-sized fish. Normally, I don't fool with "tater-chip" crappie, my personal "boat" size limit is 11", and 11" or better crappie have mostly eluded me - until today. Today I got on some slabs, but the bite was tough (maybe the weather).

I will say that my electronics have made the difference, and have proved to be key for me. I run Livescope at the bow and a Humminbird MSI+ Helix at the console (I sold off my previous Lowrance gear).

I found crappie today (up a creek) suspended at 25 feet in around 40-50 feet of water over structure, where bait is nearby. These fish sure had lockjaw, I threw every color I had at 'em, including small sizes, and tipped with nibbles. Maybe minnows would be better bait, but I don't fool with them often (that may change, LOL). I use my hand-tied jigs, and all kinds of plastics: B. Garland, C. Brewer, Southern Pro, Trout Magnet, etc. Finally a slab thumped and I reeled in a few nice slabs in the 12" range. This is what they look like on the Livescope:
csus1.jpg

After reeling in a few, they clammed up. I continued my search, and found a few more suspended schools, but no dice. I decided to check out some docks, and try dock shooting, which I am also trying to learn how to do.

I quickly discovered a lot of docks on Lanier really suck for shooting! I think I lost 4 jigs right off the bat trying to get at fish I could see under there on the Livescope. I figured out real fast that a lot of the newer/fancier docks have these underwater lift systems that snag you up. Anyway, I started cruising past docks using the SI on the 'bird to see if any held fish. All of a sudden I found the mother lode!
dockshot1.jpg

I whipped a u-turn and moved to the bow. Here they are on Livescope:
cdock1.jpg

Now THAT is a sight to excite any crappie angler! Wow! Notice the lower dock in the SI pic has no fish (like most of them), and then, voila, a dock with a hundred of 'em. The dock had a pontoon boat I could shoot right under without snagging, and I proceeded to flat wear out some slabs. I caught a bunch, and then they finally stopped biting. I kept 4 for fish tacos tonight, 2 around 12", one 13", and a 11" that was bleeding, so I kept it. I let the rest go (I have plenty in the freezer from my trips to Oconee and Lathem). The docks with fish were all in deep water over 25 feet, btw.
cra4supper.jpg

I also caught a few spots, which come in like lions after gazelle and spook the crappie. This is the biggest, poor guy had a deformed jaw from some previous angler, but fought well. Not what I'm after, but fun as heck on a JDM ultralight rod with 2 lb test.
spot1219.jpg

Figuring them out... a little bit. Thanks to @littlejohn for tipping me a few places to look. Don't even ask where. He will tell you if he wants, but I NEVER give out info I got from others without their go-ahead. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

bobocat

Figured I'd start a new thread instead of hijacking other recent threads...

So I've been putting in a lot of time trying to figure out Lanier crappie. I went from catching no crappie at all, to catching them pretty regularly, but it has been tough to find good-sized fish. Normally, I don't fool with "tater-chip" crappie, my personal "boat" size limit is 11", and 11" or better crappie have mostly eluded me - until today. Today I got on some slabs, but the bite was tough (maybe the weather).

I will say that my electronics have made the difference, and have proved to be key for me. I run Livescope at the bow and a Humminbird MSI+ Helix at the console (I sold off my previous Lowrance gear).

I found crappie today (up a creek) suspended at 25 feet in around 40-50 feet of water over structure, where bait is nearby. These fish sure had lockjaw, I threw every color I had at 'em, including small sizes, and tipped with nibbles. Maybe minnows would be better bait, but I don't fool with them often (that may change, LOL). I use my hand-tied jigs, and all kinds of plastics: B. Garland, C. Brewer, Southern Pro, Trout Magnet, etc. Finally a slab thumped and I reeled in a few nice slabs in the 12" range. This is what they look like on the Livescope:
View attachment 995416

After reeling in a few, they clammed up. I continued my search, and found a few more suspended schools, but no dice. I decided to check out some docks, and try dock shooting, which I am also trying to learn how to do.

I quickly discovered a lot of docks on Lanier really suck for shooting! I think I lost 4 jigs right off the bat trying to get at fish I could see under there on the Livescope. I figured out real fast that a lot of the newer/fancier docks have these underwater lift systems that snag you up. Anyway, I started cruising past docks using the SI on the 'bird to see if any held fish. All of a sudden I found the mother lode!
View attachment 995417

I whipped a u-turn and moved to the bow. Here they are on Livescope:
View attachment 995419

Now THAT is a sight to excite any crappie angler! Wow! Notice the lower dock in the SI pic has no fish (like most of them), and then, voila, a dock with a hundred of 'em. The dock had a pontoon boat I could shoot right under without snagging, and I proceeded to flat wear out some slabs. I caught a bunch, and then they finally stopped biting. I kept 4 for fish tacos tonight, 2 around 12", one 13", and a 11" that was bleeding, so I kept it. I let the rest go (I have plenty in the freezer from my trips to Oconee and Lathem). The docks with fish were all in deep water over 25 feet, btw.
View attachment 995420

I also caught a few spots, which come in like lions after gazelle and spook the crappie. This is the biggest, poor guy had a deformed jaw from some previous angler, but fought well. Not what I'm after, but fun as heck on a JDM ultralight rod with 2 lb test.
View attachment 995422

Figuring them out... a little bit. Thanks to @littlejohn for tipping me a few places to look. Don't even ask where. He will tell you if he wants, but I NEVER give out info I got from others without their go-ahead. Thanks for reading.
Good job. Lanier can be tough to figure out for nice Slabs but looks like you're getting the hang of it. Nice ?

Snichols1

great job finding them and thanks for sharing. I moved to Cumming a bit over a year ago and have been struggling to figure them out too! I did pretty well until about mid June and simply have had minimal luck since then. You have given some great pointers and I will hit Lanier a couple of days this week to see if I can find some of your good fortune!

RamblinWreck

What electronics are you using

Garmin (102sv head and PLS system) and Humminbird (Helix 9 Mega SI+ G3). Navionics+ map in the 'bird.

The mtn man

Live scope is the stuff, no doubt.

littlejon

I'm glad you hit that spot. Its loaded for sure. Nice looking crappie for the fryer. I'm trying to get out but work is getting in the way this week.

RamblinWreck

Wow. Note to self: scan every bridge over the lake. Tomorrow.

:LOL: