Lanier Spinnerbaits, Shaky head & Topwater w/pics/vid

Scout'nStripers

I got out 3 days this week and started with water temps in the upper 50's. I did good with a spinnerbait around docks in the backs of pockets and out on windy points but the real numbers came from a shakeyhead on docks in the afternoons this week. If you really want to sharpen your shakeyhead skills, now is the time. There are a lot of small fish on the shakeyhead but every once in a while I'd get a nice one. I didn't fish yesterday but when I got out around 9:30 this morning, water temps were in the low 60's and the topwater was on! I caught some pretty nice fish out on points and over brush today and left them biting. I had just the right amount of chop on the water and I was just setting up the boat up wind and casting down wind across the points and then bringing the popper back against the wind. I did a lot of popping, splashing and waking to get the fish to come up and I saw very little surface activity. Here's a few pics and a video from this week.

Attachments

• IMAG0704.jpg
    IMAG0704.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,542
  • IMAG0707.jpg
    IMAG0707.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,562
  • IMAG07091.jpg
    IMAG07091.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,596
  • IMAG07121.jpg
    IMAG07121.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1,562
  • IMAG07141.jpg
    IMAG07141.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,556
  • IMAG07201.jpg
    IMAG07201.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,548
  • IMAG07181.jpg
    IMAG07181.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,580
  • IMAG07161.jpg
    IMAG07161.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,552
Last edited:

ALB

I like that Green popper. I never fished that color. I love the shaky heads! I catch lots of fish on those. I went Saturday morning and caught all little ones. Nothing big.

Scout'nStripers

Thanks guys.
I like that Green popper. I never fished that color. I love the shaky heads! I catch lots of fish on those. I went Saturday morning and caught all little ones. Nothing big.
Man, there's something about that popper and that color they really like. I guess it's just the way it looks in the water. Once they start getting after that thing they usually keep after it until they get hooked.

I started using that color for the popper a few years back and it's worked pretty well so far. I also made some dropshot worms in the same color last summer and they seemed to like them too. I guess it's just something different that they don't see a lot.:huh:

Attachments

• imag00501.jpg
    imag00501.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,038
  • green.png
    green.png
    637.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • green2.jpg
    green2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,044

Scout'nStripers

Fullnet

Top Water

Thanks for the reply . Their popper looks a lot like yours but that color is unique.

As always, a great report.

Good Luck

Scout'nStripers

Thanks for the reply . Their popper looks a lot like yours but that color is unique.

As always, a great report.

Good Luck
Thanks fullnet. If I can ever get any more blanks for the popper I'll probably make a batch and sell a few.

Nice captain......Yall been wearing them out
Its been good lately Hawk. Thanks!

Scout'nStripers

Is it possible to buy a popper similar to the one you're using in this area ?
Good news Fullnet, I found 120 blanks, made some up and put them on my website. PM sent.

Scout'nStripers

Thanks for hooking us up (again) Jim!

I just placed an order.
Got it. Thanks Wade! I think it's a great little bait to have in the arsenal.

Some fine catching being done there, Jim!!
Thanks Fred. I love the topwater bite.

I'm not sure what kind of topwater bite they have over on Guntersville this time of year but I'm sure we'll be giving the popper a try.