Lanier Trolling Report 8 October

LittleDrummerBoy

Bottom line - fish are still deep, relating to thermocline at 37 feet. Only got three bites in 6 hours. Tried everything except putting lures below 30 feet (too many snags). Probably going to still fish with live bait this weekend. I can put bait deeper without snagging.

Lots and lots of bait in the upper reaches of Flat Creek (above FC8 marker). Bait is throughout the water column - all the way to the surface. But the prey species seem to be staying deep. I don't think I've seen so many herring on top before without any bass busting them. At some point this is going to turn on, but not yet.

Beautiful day to be out there, though.
Lanier 8 October.JPG

Teh Wicked

With night temps dipping below 60, its not going to take long, I bet this coming weekend its going to be down right insane.

LittleDrummerBoy

With night temps dipping below 60, its not going to take long, I bet this coming weekend its going to be down right insane.

I'm thinking it must get better, because I can't see how there could be fewer fish in the top 30 feet of water. But I'd be surprised if the surface temperature made it below 73 deg F by Sat or if the thermocline rose above 30 feet. 37 feet of water at 77.5 deg F on Tuesday is a lot of warm water to cool off in 4 nights. Other factors in play is there are not any really windy days or nights forecast before Sat.

Cooler water has two main advantages in moving predators up in the water column:

1) Lower energy demands. It takes a lot more energy to spend time in the warmer water.

2) Potentially higher dissolved oxygen levels. Cooler water can hold more dissolved oxygen, but as water cools off, oxygen does not get added automatically. This time of year, the dominant mechanism for raising oxygen levels is surface mixing, since photosynthesis has slowed. Even if the water cools below 72 deg F at the surface, we need some windy days and maybe a hard rain to raise the dissolved oxygen levels and really turn on the upper layers.

I'm betting next weekend (Oct 19-20) will have a lot more fish in the upper layer than this weekend (Oct 12-13). Since I'm in a slump, I've given my guests the option to reschedule for next weekend, and I'm sticking to my plan of putting live bait below the thermocline this weekend. One night with a 15 mph NW wind howling all night can change things quickly, but I think we need 3-4 10 MPH days and some rain to have the same impact.

LittleDrummerBoy

StriperrHunterr

Monday morning was 73-75 and I saw tons of topwater bait and busting activity. It wasn't consistent enough to really get a cast off, but it's closer than it seems to going off.

LittleDrummerBoy

Monday morning was 73-75 and I saw tons of topwater bait and busting activity. It wasn't consistent enough to really get a cast off, but it's closer than it seems to going off.

You might be right. I'll definitely have a topwater rod handy as I soak those live baits deep. I'm checking prices on dissolved oxygen sensors. I think we focus too much on surface temperature. It's really a proxy for dissolved oxygen in the current situation. Last weekend was also kinda windy, but I don't think either the dissolved oxygen boost or the cooler surface temps lasted very long.

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

Tuesday (6 mile), I saw the top water bait-busting here and there, but it was up and down quick, not sustained. Based on what I caught throwing at 'em, it was all 1 pound spots. LOL

RamblinWreck

You need to get after those crappie!

I'm trying to, LOL. I will be back in the AM, and this time I'm only bringing one bass rod. I'll cruise around and try to locate some on my electronics. So far they are eluding me. All tips are welcomed!

FootLongDawg

I hear you LDB. Went Monday and this and another smaller one is all I could muster. No green fish

Attachments

• 123951.jpg
    123951.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 16