Laryngenal Paralysis surgery on Britt

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Senior member of the MuttPak, Abby, under went tie-back procedure in at Charleston Veterinary Referral Center Wednesday. The left flap of the larynx is sutured to the trachea wall after cutting through the skin of the throat area. She is recovering nicely. She became symptomatic during woodcock season which was evident by her lack of stamina and loud panting minutes into the hunt. I immediately took her to the vet when the panting ceased stopping an hour after crating her. Local vet suspected Lar Par and referred me to the first class clinic in Charleston, 2 hours away. January sedated exam by cardiolgist, criticalist and surgeon confirmed suspicion but surgeon didn't feel it was time to operate. Over 7 months the symptoms progressed to where she had episodes of forced breathing and hoarse panting uncaused by exercise or heat. The larynx prevents water and food from going doing the windpipe while eating. Usually at age 11 is when trouble starts. Abby will be 12 end of January. Untreated dogs will sometimes survive but will have increased labored breathing; dogs often die of other unrelated causes before suffocation sets in when the larynx won't open to allow air to the lungs. However, untreated, it can result in suffocation, and I didn't want that to happen. After balancing considerations, she was worth it to me to have the surgery done before it became a crisis. Risk post surgery is increased likelihood of aspiration pneumonia which can be treated. After months of hearing her troubled breathing efforts, it is a relief not to hear it anymore. Here she is comfortably resting today. GilPXL_20220826_152904092.jpg

SC Hunter

I hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Reactions: GLS