Last evenings backyard buck

Lonegle57

Have a small food plot on the back property line and have watched/ hunted for years.
The genetics have a lot to be desired. My target this year is a 4 &1/2 year old with 5 on one side
and a major split on the other. This one came in close to dark and the tall side made be think
maybe it was "Split". He as on the tail of a doe and yearling which ran off. Saw the tall side again
and pulled the trigger. A Smith 657, 41 mag, with a Burris red dot on top. A 45 yard shot, a little
low but clipped heart and pumping plumbing. He ran about 30 yards and crashed, chest cavity
was full of blood. Figure him to be 3&1/2 and a trophy regardless of poor genes. Am glad to get
him out of the breeding pool, now if Split will show up. Body size, at 65 he made me feel old
wheeling him out of the woods.

Attachments

• 100_2493.JPG
    100_2493.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_2494.JPG
    100_2494.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_2495.JPG
    100_2495.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 56

Big7

The Oracle
Nice buck.

FYI.. I was reading something yesterday about "cull bucks" and taking them out of the heard and the article said killing them just to get them out og the gene pool didn't do much for the "gene pool" overall.

According to them, the does were mostly responsible for the genetics. IDK? Might be worth doing a little research.

I hunt for meat so I really don't have much knowledge on the subject. My private land was only 126 acres before it sold and I've been in a club in Warren County and had access to some private land in Jefferson County. Knowing both were not going to be "forever" so I didn't even try QDM. Our family farm was only 126 acres and I don't believe you can QDM a small tract because of the range of a Whitetail.

Congratulations on the hunt. Especially with a revolver. That's always a challenge.

Lonegle57

Thank you for the positive nods. In regards to bullet am using a 215 grain
cast swc over a mild load of Universal Clays. Usually am running a 210 grain
JHP over 2400. Was a pass thru at 45 yards with what seemed to be a little
expansion on exit wound side.
This year brought out a revolver as well as a couple of longer range handguns. The back yard is close range so the revolver was a nice choice.

Lilly001

Congratulations. A harvest with a handgun is satisfying.