Late Fall Oconee Catfish

LittleDrummerBoy

First time this year I had a guest not show without even a call, text, or PM. Went fishing anyway. Catfish were biting yesterday afternoon.
2020-11-29_12-41-32.jpg

Josh B

Good trip and you got to keep them all. I haven't been in a while. Are they shallow or deep?

LittleDrummerBoy

My full report is available via my YouTube channel. Most were caught on the channel slopes just downstream of the RR and I-20 bridges. Some on jugs 12ft deep and others on rods cast into 20-30 ft of water. About an even split between live bait (gizzard shad) and cut bait (also gizzard shad.) They were all caught btw 2-4 PM when the water was moving.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Nice catch,

I really wish they would publish a generation schedule.

LittleDrummerBoy

Nice catch,

I really wish they would publish a generation schedule.

I understand why they don't. It's not a safety issue downstream like the Lanier and other dams. And their goal is maximizing profits for their shareholders rather than improving life for recreational users.

If they published a generation schedule, they'd be criticized for deviating from it. And they really want to generate power when prices are highest. I'm noticing a fairly reliable pattern. When they have a moderate influx of water, they are most likely to generate most of the power on the warmer afternoons over the next few days, especially if the temps are warm enough for folks to run the AC.

During normal business weeks, generating on weekday afternoons is a bit more likely than on weekend afternoons, since power demand (and thus prices) are higher.

Do some google searches on when electricity usage tends to be the highest in the SE US and you'll see how the power generation gets to be predictable.

Cmp1

BANNED
Nice catches, congrats,,,,I've got a new catfish rod that I would love to break in there,,,? ? ? ?

LittleDrummerBoy

Nice catches, congrats,,,,I've got a new catfish rod that I would love to break in there,,,? ? ? ?

I expect the catfish action to slow considerably with dropping water temps until next April. But I'll be happy to take you fishing whenever you can make it down. I may give the deep holes a try over the winter, but I might not. If we get some really warm rain dumps, the coves near the river inflows can also turn on in the winter.

Cmp1

BANNED
I expect the catfish action to slow considerably with dropping water temps until next April. But I'll be happy to take you fishing whenever you can make it down. I may give the deep holes a try over the winter, but I might not. If we get some really warm rain dumps, the coves near the river inflows can also turn on in the winter.
I plan on fishing with you,,,,thanks,,,,I got a new Berkley e cat rod,,,,monster rod,,,,

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I get all that,

There are other lakes that dont publish a schedule either. Its nice though when they do.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Nice catch , I hate it when someone I’m hunting or fishing with doesn’t show , especially without even a call