Late Food Plot

SWAMPFOX

Need some opinions, please.

What would be the absolute latest you could plant a winter plot in Middle Georgia to hunt over and what would you plant in it? Thanks.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Swamp --- naturally it all depends on rainfall but if it had to be late? --- and fast germinating?

I would probably go with Wheat.

There would be other choices but that's what I would choose.

First week of October is the latest -- and pray for rain.;)

gadeerwoman

Ted, I planted (overseeded...no till whatsoever) last January with wheat, rye and ryegrass as well as clover and brassicas and got good germination. Granted it took longer to get a green field but it did well.

Muygrande

If you're hunting over it listen to Woody, if you're planting it for the deer to have access to Carb's over winter months GAWoman's correct too!

Tecomate's monster mix is an awesome cool weather planting, our deer loved it and was a very successful crop if soil was right.

Timberman

The latest

It is for a different purpose, but I've seen wheat, grain rye and either crimson or arrowleaf clover no tilled in pasture for winter forage as late as the end of October. It sprouted and came up and I shot deer eating it.

Most farmers haven't even cut their last cut of hay and as a general rule don't drill until that is done. In the lowcountry they haven't even harvested soybeans so it will be a while for them as well before planting winter wheat.

Owing to a lazy streak, and our experience with summer grasses coming back and crowding a plot, we rarely plant before now and often do it in phases where some is as late as mid-late october. :)

When I was a kid our club planted during the middle of bow season which back then was early October.

With the seasons opening earlier, It seems everyone is planting earlier than ever before. :)

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
food plots

Mix collard seeds in with wheat and oats or abruzzi rye and watch what they eat first. Don't know the nutritional values of collards but deer love them.