Late November planting

SRShunter

Planted whitetail institute no plow which I actually plowed it and planted it how I normally do anything. The rain came the next day and after two days I could see it starting to germinate. Then we had a frost and thought I lost it all, but about a week later and a little warmer weather its coming up and looks good. Just hope the last two days of cold weather haven't zapped it again

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Is this in Florida?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Have you had success before in that location planting so late?

SRShunter

No sir, first time I ever planted this spot and the first time I have ever planted that late, but so far so good. I will try and get a pic of it later

Jim Boyd

Not sure what is in that mix but if it is wheat/oats and any clovers, that part would be fine I think.

SRShunter

Looks like a lot of clovers in it probably red variety but not sure. It says it will grow in acidic soils so I'm sure its not the very best, but new green and acorns should be playing out soon might be killer spot?

SRShunter

JB how did yall do this year in Carolina? We killed a couple decent bucks. Deer movement has slowed down a lot for us since after Thanksgiving at least not seeing the bucks we were in late October early November. Kinda that way every year for us.

SRShunter

Sorry I know it's not the deer hunting one. That's our best this year in Carolina

Attachments

• 20181206_173107.jpg
    20181206_173107.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20181206_173544.jpg
    20181206_173544.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 33

Jim Boyd

SRS

We killed our biggest buck ever.

It has been a good year and we are sorry to report the departure of one of our best members.

I took him to Illinois with me - he hunted there for 2-3 days and resigned from CMHC on the spot. He is severely hooked on Midwest hunting.

With that said, I have only myself to blame...

He and I will be headed north November 2019!

CMHC will live on but without him!

SRShunter

Well I guess that is kind of bittersweet I reckon. At least you will still get to hunt with him. Not really to sure what to say about that. Guess the hunting up there is awesome and you stand a chance at a true monster (booner) anyhow glad yall killed your biggest buck ever

Jim Boyd

It is all good.

People come and people go - no more and no less.

It is not bittersweet, he just wants to use his cash in Midwest. I get it.

Here is his SC deer. I am think 135”. Over 200 lbs.

4897F35E-5040-466C-A268-B94A01557912.jpeg

SRShunter

Let me know if yall need a extra member next year. I have a tractor and ain't scared to use it. Really think I could learn a lot from you and I'm getting serious about this trophy hunting now in my life. I'll do what you ask and if you don't like what I do give me the boot and I'll leave with no arguing, but I don't believe we will have that problem. I have two tracts of land I hunt now so me wearing out the place won't be a problem as far as my scent and time goes on the place

SRShunter

I only killed that one buck off our property this year. He is basically a glorified 6pt. Little crab claws at the end of his main beams make him a 8, but he has really heavy horns. Antlers to be politically correct. He scored 109 5/8s. Older deer and I feel he needed killing and was glad to get him

Jim Boyd

SRS -

I ain’t sure you would learn anything from me, that is drinking out of a pretty shallow stream.

Our spot was filled immediately by a buddy of one of our members.

If I had a spot, I would have been glad to discuss with you.

I know you are looking for a farm - I wish you good luck. They are very hard to find in my area.

Jim

Jim Boyd

PS SRS - 110” deer, nothing wrong with that at all!

Glad for ya!

SRShunter

Thank you Jim and if you would let me know if you hear of some land that comes available for next year, thanks again...Chuck

Jim Boyd

Will do, sir.

Hate to sound discouraging but I have been there 8 years and have never once heard of another farm in the area.

I will say thought - that I am not looking or asking.

Will keep my ears open.