Late season Chestatee

splatek

UAEC
1) worth it?
2) tips?
i think there are tell more hunts and I’d like to fill a bear tag. early season didn’t work out. I’m still using a bow, but would be happy to pull out granddaddy’s Marlin 30-30

tree cutter 08

Don't want to discourage you but it's not going to be easy. It can be done though. I found as much bear sign in the last few days as I've seen all season. They were feeding on mt oaks and grass patches. Just get out and look. Anytime you can get in the woods and learn new places you will have more knowledge for the future.

I wont be going back to a mis-managed WMA like that ever again so let me extend you an olive branch....

Hunt between Ground Squirrel Gap and Cedar Mountain on the thick side hill. I may or may not have seen fresh bear poo there.

chrislibby88

Last year I didn’t see any bear sign in December, there weren’t really any acorns though. The year before there was decently fresh sign, but not much and I bumped into another hunter that saw a bear busting off a ridgeline. I don’t think Chestatee is really known for bears like some of the other WMAs, but you never know what may happen.

chrislibby88

Seeing does, and fresh buck sign on Chestatee. No bucks or bears. Stepped over a few piles of bear poop today, none super fresh though, I’m no bear expert, but it all seemed to be at least a few days old. Plenty of chestnut oaks left between 2000 and 2500, so they should be feeding somewhere.

Professor

Seeing does, and fresh buck sign on Chestatee. No bucks or bears. Stepped over a few piles of bear poop today, none super fresh though, I’m no bear expert, but it all seemed to be at least a few days old. Plenty of chestnut oaks left between 2000 and 2500, so they should be feeding somewhere.

Chris, see if you can find any of this stuff on the ground around openings or along old logging roads. This is the stuff that Killer Kyle identified as winter grape and they are just finishing it off in some other areas. Screenshot_20191208-190326_Photos.jpg

chrislibby88

Chris, see if you can find any of this stuff on the ground around openings or along old logging roads. This is the stuff that Killer Kyle identified as winter grape and they are just finishing it off in some other areas. View attachment 994988
I saw that thread. I’m keeping an eye out. None of the scat I saw in my area had any of those seeds in it. I’m gonna check some new ridges after the morning sit and see what I find.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Congrats chris!

chrislibby88

Congrats chris!
Thanks everyone! I’ve been seeing some monsters on the forums. I will take a mountain 6 over a flatland 12 any day. Hopefully my brother can get on one before this hunt runs out. It would be epic if we both carried one off a mountain.