Lathem Lately?

RamblinWreck

I know; I have. I've been operating with my TAN since day one. I just got the real stickers, picked up some stencils and a magnum Sharpie, and will be adding the numbers to my boat tomorrow. Tight lines!

spkoli

What were you throwing?
I was throwing a whopper plopper in White color when I saw the spots busting the surface. Pounded banks and grass lines with shad-patterned swimjig.

weagle

Struck out today. I stayed out on the main lake trying to catch some schooling fish and they never really got going.

RamblinWreck

I'm going tomorrow as well. I want to test out my new sonar I just finished wiring on the kayak. I've never used sonar fishing before, but I have an idea how to use it*.

*They only learned me how it works, and all the math and stuff, at north avenue, not the fishing part - unless you are fishing for enemy subs!

dank1296

I have a Garmin one of the cheaper ones 119.00 but it is excellent marks fish and bottom well. See you out ther in morning. Want me to pick you up some shiners while im at Hammonds.

RamblinWreck

No thanks! I'll stick with the fake stuff awhile.

dank1296

Found nice bunch of crappie in 25 foot of water over some brush and four largemouths no spots today. Hot not much wind but did see alot of topwater activity.

Attachments

• IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 29

RamblinWreck

Trolled up one spot on a shad rap, and caught a few LM on a spybait until I lost it. :cry: Nothing big, just small 1-2 lb fish. The new sonar worked great, but I decided the trolling motor is not an ideal mounting location for the transducer, so when I got home I installed a Scotty transducer arm and put it on that, more to the front of the boat. Might go back this afternoon just to try it out. I've been wanting to try fishing a big lake now that school is back in, it shouldn't be too crowded during the week if I go early. Not sure where. I've always wanted to try Lake Russell.

I am planning on going to fish the Ocmulgee river below Jackson in a week or two with a friend. For that trip, I'll leave the sonar and trolling motor at home.

RamblinWreck

Sounds good to me.

RamblinWreck

Fished hard Tues morning but only caught 2 small LM. One was from throwing into a school when they blew up within casting distance. Doesn't really matter much what you have on when that happens, as long as they can see it and it looks like a fish, you'll get bit. The other was on a drop shot, green pumpkin finesse worm.

I see weagle is continuing to rack them up. Looks like a wacky rigged worm in that second pic. (y)

Coenen

Anybody headed up there this weekend? I'm thinking to throw the 'yak on the car and try my luck. Got beat up pretty bad at Zwerner last weekend, so I need to get some fish in the boat with me, and word is that Lanier is fishing tough.

Good deal lets get together in sept. and hit Lanier during week try for stripers and spots
It'll be better in October / November once the freeline bite starts to heat up.

dank1296

Ive been on Lanier twice last couple month did poorly. Started fishing Lathem during week back in March usually me and 3-4 other guys fishing. i Like trolling large shiners and small crankbaits and have caught fish every time. Some LM up to 5 and spots up to 3 plus lunker crappie. Nice not having to worry bout Hells Angels on jet skis.

dank1296

Dont know if lake is big enough or conducive for but wish theyd stock walleye in there that would be nice, might get to warm.

RamblinWreck

Headed south for shoal bass Saturday, but Sunday is doable for me. Gray older guy in the nucanoe - that's me. Been learning to use my new sonar and need the practice. I was seeing all kinds of fish and bait and stuff last time, but I do not understand half of what I see. Most fish echoes and bait schools were suspended around 10-15 feet deep around the steeper drop offs. I think!

Coenen

Got out yesterday about 10-ish or so and poked around until around 4pm. Really interesting body of water; I'll definitely be going back up there more often!

Saw a lot of topwater, but couldn't get a hookup. They were up and down super quick, feeding on small threads. Gotta get a fluke rod back in the rotation.

I brought my bag of tricks from Lanier with me; watch the sonar, find some fish, send down the dropshot, collect your prize. I actually hooked up right off the bat, but lost the fish, think it may have been a crappie. First fish in the boat was about an 18-19" LM, followed that up with a 13" crappie out in deep water. It was downhill from there, I chased some schools a bit, and picked off some dinks under the bait pods. Poked my nose up the creek, and found a big school of active spots, picked off two in the 12-14" range, missed a couple more. Trolled on my way back to the launch, no love for that tactic.

Everything came on the DS. I started out with a SK Dreamshot, watermelon candy, and really hit my stride with a Lanier Baits "LJ's Obsession" worm. Gave them all a little dip in some spike-it dye. I threw some crankbaits, and spinnerbaits, but didn't get a whiff, just might not have been reaching down where they were. That little lake has some depth! Talked to a few local guys and got some pointers, seems like a pretty friendly crowd up there for the most part.

Hopefully, I'll run into a couple of y'all on my next trip. This lake should definitely keep me happy until Lanier comes back around.

40139358_10101488523605129_3771880742234095616_o.jpg
39937466_1951631238208972_6422248659085164544_n.jpg