Lathem Lately?

jocko755

Shame he could have gone with a replica and just took photos and measured it. That's a big female with good genes to pass on to future big bass fry. That's nearly 10,000 future bass or more. It could be over 10 by March. Bass grow quick here in the south. But you have to give em a chance. If everyone kept the big ones, there would be only dinks left. Keep the dinks. The lake is getting good - but it won't stay that way.

Perfectly legal - nice catch. There's some big ones! Good on him - I guess!

The lady who caught the 9+ in the tourney kept it for the wall. I bet it happens more times then others release. People say - oh it's a big lake - theres plenty more, but I doubt there are many.

Coenen

Shame he could have gone with a replica and just took photos and measured it. That's a big female with good genes to pass on to future big bass fry. That's nearly 10,000 future bass or more. It could be over 10 by March. Bass grow quick here in the south. But you have to give em a chance. If everyone kept the big ones, there would be only dinks left. Keep the dinks. The lake is getting good - but it won't stay that way.

Perfectly legal - nice catch. There's some big ones! Good on him - I guess!

The lady who caught the 9+ in the tourney kept it for the wall. I bet it happens more times then others release. People say - oh it's a big lake - theres plenty more, but I doubt there are many.
JMO, but that lake is peaking now. Another 5 years and it'll be all over. I don't think the forage base supports that amount of predators for any length of time. Enjoy it while it lasts.

dank1296

I have to say at least half the bass i catch have evidence of being caught and released prior to me. I think this lake will be good for quite a long time not much pressure and i mark several large schools of bait out in the deep water each time i go.

Coenen

I have to say at least half the bass i catch have evidence of being caught and released prior to me. I think this lake will be good for quite a long time not much pressure and i mark several large schools of bait out in the deep water each time i go.
No pressure and C&R can become their own problems in smaller bodies of water. First you get a big boom of predators, but eventually the food supply starts to dry up, and it goes bust. That seems especially possible when you've got prolific species like crappie and spotted bass in the mix.

That's why my head's at where it's at. I'm no expert, but I can't help but wonder if the forage base in the lake holds up over the long haul.

jocko755

I'm no expert either. It's cool. I just hate when folks take out the Big females who do the lion share of the spawn and have good genes. But totally legal for him to do. I just feel a replica is as good as a skin mount and the bass released can grow BIGGER!

Hit the lake today can caught 2. Wind came up awful. I paddled down to the far end and it took me more than a hour to paddle back in a stiff head wind in white caps. My arms are smoked. Weather said rain - but I didn't see wind forecasted.

I hooked a lost rod and reel in a wooded cove. Took it home and cleaned it up. I would like to return it to the owner - send me a description if it's yours and I will get it to you.

Attachments

• 20180927_124145.jpg
    20180927_124145.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 3

RamblinWreck

Going in AM to fool around with panfish some more. I am going to try some small jigs under a float at different depths, and maybe go by Hammonds for red wigglers if I get up early enough. I want to catch more of those big 'crackers, I really do. Some crappie would hit the spot as well.

Never fear, the fairy wand with a DR spinbait tied on will be along as always. Last time I started throwing it at schooling bass first, and only quit and started bream fishing after I lost it on a snag after catching about a dozen, including a fat toad spot I lost at the boat (because I went for a lip too early, and he shook the lure). Man those things pull hard.

RamblinWreck

Going in AM to fool around with panfish some more. I am going to try some small jigs under a float at different depths, and maybe go by Hammonds for red wigglers if I get up early enough. I want to catch more of those big 'crackers, I really do. Some crappie would hit the spot as well.

Never fear, the fairy wand with a DR spinbait tied on will be along as always. Last time I started throwing it at schooling bass first, and only quit and started bream fishing after I lost it on a snag after catching about a dozen, including a fat toad spot I lost at the boat (because I went for a lip too early, and he shook the lure). Man those things pull hard.

UPDATE: Fished 0800-1645, with only one bream to show and no crappie. I did catch my usual dozen bass, a mix of spots and LM in the 1-3 lb range, on the you-know-what. I went back to yellow creek, and was throwing small panfish jigs and power baits in 10-15 feet of water with plenty or fish marking sonar, but only the little ones were pecking. I noticed some schools of bait right under me bigger than my kayak - just swamped out the whole display on the sonar and when I looked over I could clearly see them. If I threw a cast net I could have caught thousands.

spkoli

I was able to get up there yesterday. Caught three fish. 2 spots and a crappie. a spot and crappie on the spin bait, the other spot was on a whopper plopper I threw into the feeding frenzies we see all to often.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 7

Coenen

Was out here today for the long haul, 8:30 to around 4:15.

Started out really strong, and gradually slowed down as the weather cleared and the high pressure moved in. Ended up with around 10 or 12 I guess, about 50/50 spots and LM, almost all on DS. Saw some really legit topwater action, and just couldn't get on it. Got one on a walk the dog style bait, but they completely refused the popper I had been throwing. Really frustrating.

Surface temp was noticeably down, It should be about to really break loose. I'm probably back home on Lanier next week, so y'all will have to give 'em the business on my behalf.

RamblinWreck

Thanks for the reports - I want to get on some of those crappie. Will try again tomorrow.

UPDATE : fished 0800-3PM, it was tough conditions, windy, hazy, not a lot of schooling. Couldn't find any bream but little ones, hooked one big crappie on the spybait but he got off at the boat, in fact, the fish were hitting it weird today - kinda tentative, only biting high in the water column which is a big change. I lost the last 5 fish I hooked in a row, some nice ones, too. They were going straight to the top rushing the boat and shaking the lure off. Decided to call it a day after that. Gonna change the hooks - they might be dull after 20+ fish on the same lure.

Last edited:

jocko755

Got out yesterday 2pm to 430pm. Was pretty slow. Went into a cove and pitched a jig among the timber. Caught a nice spot. Then in many areas in the cove the bass were chasing bait up on shore and to the surface. The schooling was continuous- I left them biting - didn't want to get locked in. Probably caught 10 or more decent cookie cutter spots. I would cast a ned rig to the blow ups. Lost the ned rig and threw the spybait. Problem is I had the ned and spy were rigged on spinning 6lb line which isn't good for wooded coves. Fall feed is on.

Attachments

• 20181002_151857.jpg
    20181002_151857.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20181002_140333.jpg
    20181002_140333.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 2

RamblinWreck

big_shell1.jpg

RamblinWreck

Red wigglers. Caught shellcracker, bluegill, pesky spotted bass, and one channel cat. One spot was about 2 lbs and took 5 minutes to boat on UL + 4 lb. test, and he was hopelessly gut hooked, so I'll be eating him, too.

Coenen

How big was that kitty cat? I heard somewhere that they'd only recently stocked them into the lake.

RamblinWreck

Eatin' size, about a lb.

RamblinWreck

Good luck! Hope you don't get a snag. I caught 5 yesterday, 3 spots and 2 LM on the ghost pearl with new hooks. It seems the bite is changing, because I was surprised I didn't catch more. I went higher in the water column and sped up the retrieve a bit, but the lake is changing for fall, the shad are moving shallower, so I don't expect the magic to last. Right now I am on a hunt for crappie. May have found some..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-04_13.38.43.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-04_13.38.43.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 21

dank1296

Good day on Lathem caught between 15-20 LM mostly 3-4 spots. that spybait is the real deal. Caught 8-9 on it several when throwing to breaking fish and a few when i let it sink a little. Water temp 77 and caught few trolling the shiners from the ramp all way down to the bridge. Was hot out looks like end next week some cooler weather.

Attachments

• IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1525.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG