Lathem Lately?

RamblinWreck

Had an epic morning with new JDM rod. Got on a flat near the main channel and found some crappie stacked up, and wore 'em out, as they say. When they finally quit biting I had no more room in my cooler and was releasing them. All fish kept were over 11", and biggest was a 15.5" 2lb 4oz fish, my new PB crappie. Don't have a count Kept 17 slabs, which filled up a big Igloo Playmate cooler so full I had to dump the ice.

Most fish were caught on a trout magnet on a 1.5g Daiwa Gekkabijin JDM jig, later I used a Moonshine Jigs (Perry Pippinger) "Elmo" color 1/32 hand-tied jig. The big fish hit the Perry jig.

Never even got around to the 'crackers today.
lcrapp4.jpglcrapp3.jpgLcrapp2.jpglcrapp5.jpg

Last edited:

JC33

Anyone been to Lathem Hollis recently? finaly got my house done and moved in. Gonna have some fish time now:D. Thinking of headed over there this weekend and next week.
Hi there...I'm new on the board here, although I've been poking around many times in the past! Since I was planning to be in the general area yesterday, I went to Latham for the first time yesterday afternoon...it was about 3pm by the time I could get on the water and since they still close at 5pm (until next weekend), I only had about an hour and a half to fish. I did catch one decent bass...right up near the bank on a wacky rig senko. Missed another nice strike on a jerk bait before leaving, but that was about it. Really nice lake...I'm looking forward to visiting again with more time!

RamblinWreck

@JC33 : I saw you miss that fish - maybe; were you in a black Denali? I was taking out.. Not a shore-friendly lake, really. A kayak, jon, or electric-only boat of any kind would be advantageous, to say the least.

Went back first thing this morning and the crappie were still there; I put a bunch more in the cooler, yes sir, I did. Slap full of SLABS.

Then I decided to try to find another flat with the same characteristics and see if I could get on some other spawning crappie; I didn't want to decimate this spawn site any more. I tried several similar spots, but only caught a couple small bass, which are fun on the Japanese UL rod with 2 lb test, and one medium sized (2 foot dia) snapping turtle, on a red wiggler. He had the hook in his front foot, and it took some finesse with 4 lb test Mr Crappie line to get him to the boat, whereupon he began striking the side of my yak. I eased him up and caught the hook in my long nose pliers and set him free. He seemed to know I was unhooking him and stayed chill - my hand was closer than I liked to his mouth, for sure.

On the way to the take out I tried one more spot - bingo. Caught a slab crappie on the second cast. Wind was kicking up and I was tired, with a bunch of fish to filet, so I marked a waypoint for a return engagement - soon!

The trout magnet again ruled the day. Did not locate any shellcrackers. Yet. Saw dank in the solo skiff and gave him one of the JDM 1.5g jigs with a few trout magnets to try. That TM is no joke; grab some next time you are at Walmart. I went home and cleaned all the fish. Then I cleaned myself, and had a well-deserved sammich and a cold one. Cheers!

turtle1.jpglcrapp7.jpglspot1.jpgsammich1.jpg

dank1296

Glad to see ramblingwreck out yesterday. Thanks for the 2 jigs you gave me ended up catching 2 crappie and one spot on the troll with them. Got the crappie back i caught in Feb. that was over 2 lbs my biggest. Nice mount attached to piece of wood found on pond in warren county. Be back out next week early after weekend crowd dies down.

Attachments

• IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3313.JPG
    IMG_3313.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3316.JPG
    IMG_3316.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3320.JPG
    IMG_3320.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 28

RamblinWreck

Great looking mount.

I am holding out for a 3lb+, since I ate my 2lb'er! :p

JC33

@JC33 : I saw you miss that fish - maybe; were you in a black Denali? I was taking out.. Not a shore-friendly lake, really. A kayak, jon, or electric-only boat of any kind would be advantageous, to say the least.

Went back first thing this morning and the crappie were still there; I put a bunch more in the cooler, yes sir, I did. Slap full of SLABS.

Then I decided to try to find another flat with the same characteristics and see if I could get on some other spawning crappie; I didn't want to decimate this spawn site any more. I tried several similar spots, but only caught a couple small bass, which are fun on the Japanese UL rod with 2 lb test, and one medium sized (2 foot dia) snapping turtle, on a red wiggler. He had the hook in his front foot, and it took some finesse with 4 lb test Mr Crappie line to get him to the boat, whereupon he began striking the side of my yak. I eased him up and caught the hook in my long nose pliers and set him free. He seemed to know I was unhooking him and stayed chill - my hand was closer than I liked to his mouth, for sure.

On the way to the take out I tried one more spot - bingo. Caught a slab crappie on the second cast. Wind was kicking up and I was tired, with a bunch of fish to filet, so I marked a waypoint for a return engagement - soon!

The trout magnet again ruled the day. Did not locate any shellcrackers. Yet. Saw dank in the solo skiff and gave him one of the JDM 1.5g jigs with a few trout magnets to try. That TM is no joke; grab some next time you are at Walmart. I went home and cleaned all the fish. Then I cleaned myself, and had a well-deserved sammich and a cold one. Cheers!

View attachment 967496View attachment 967497View attachment 967498View attachment 967500
Might have been me on the water... I was about to takeout around 4:45pm. However, I have a silver Outback, not the Yukon. My boat was a tan Kay-noe (Old Town 119).

RamblinWreck

My bad; I'm wrong. It was someone else fishing from the bank.

dank1296

NIce day all bass action not one crappie today. Caught between 12-15 spots and LM. Most where real nice 2-4 lbs. Wreck ill think you will recognize the jig in the big basses mouth.

Attachments

• IMG_3369.JPG
    IMG_3369.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3370.JPG
    IMG_3370.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3374.JPG
    IMG_3374.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3376.JPG
    IMG_3376.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3377.JPG
    IMG_3377.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3384.JPG
    IMG_3384.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3385.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3387.JPG
    IMG_3387.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 18

RamblinWreck

Awesome. I got one tied on for in the morning. :cool:

RamblinWreck

Shellcrackers were staging shallow pre-spawn, but not bedding yet IMO. Caught a bunch on wigglers and UL tackle, and kept 12 for the table. These were all at least 3/4 lb fish; biggest was 15.5 oz and 10.75". No crappie on the jigs today, just a couple bass - but, who cares when the big crackers are biting? Man, do they fight hard. I love them. Got some awesome thick filets of the best-eating fish in the lake. PS in the creek near the waterfall you can catch all the pan-sized channel cats you want. Very aggravating if you are looking for crackers!
lcracker4.jpglcracker3.jpglcracker2.jpglcracker1.jpg

RamblinWreck

I have not got on the crackers or bluegills even though the full moon came and went. I think they fooled me and most of the spawning happened in April while I was mostly fishing Oconee. I can't rub two big panfish together now, almost. I can catch a few here and there up on stumps, trees, etc close to the bank, but not numbers, but there are whopper shellcrackers here. They are here. Somewhere...

I did catch a big LM on 2 lb test, and some cooler-fulls of big crappie, but the bream have fooled me, or something.

RamblinWreck

Nice day today, but tough bite. Was fishing with the UL gear for bream and/or crappie, but couldn't find 'em. I did catch (and released) another nice LM bass on my JDM rod w/ 2 lb test; a 17" football about 3 lbs. Hit a red sparkle Charlie Brewer panfish mini slider grub on a Daiwa jig head. Had another even bigger one on, but she threw the hook. That was using a gold hand-tied 1/32 oz jig; if it was the Daiwa, she wouldn't have got off IMO.
june_bass1.jpg

In other news, the water dept guys installed a buoy line all the way across the creek about 50 yards from the waterfall. Said they were tired of having to help get grounded/stuck boats loose. Never mind that I could go all the way to the falls no problem in my kayak (with troll motor up) and have many times. Now I'm cut off from a good bream hole.
They also said they were soon going to be dredging the creek, which is pretty silted up from all the rain this year, to the tune of a million dollars. Hmmm.