Lathem Lately?

RamblinWreck

Stained from the rain, but not bad. Winds will be up tomorrow 10-15. Good day for me to do some boat wiring and electronics install.

dank1296

Was windy but not too bad. Trolled live medium shiners in the usual places. Got about 12-14 bass and one crappie. Mostly LM maybe 3 spots.. Water was fairly clear lakewide. Water temp 73-75 unheard of this late in the year.

Attachments

• IMG_3632.JPG
    IMG_3632.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3634.JPG
    IMG_3634.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3635.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3636.JPG
    IMG_3636.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3638.JPG
    IMG_3638.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 5

RamblinWreck

Some nice ones there. I'm going to have to hit it in the AM and enjoy this cool June weather while I can. I'll bring the finesse wand and the spybait in case I strike out on slabs again. Have not thrown it yet this year.

EDIT: didn't go - had to rescue #1 son stranded with a dead vehicle. Looks like the alternator... oh well. Guess I'll go tomorrow.

Last edited:

jocko755

When I arrived at the gate, there were so many Jon boats. I asked if there was a tourney, but guys said no. Probably 30 or so boats and when I made it back in about 50 -100 people on the lake. Very crowded. I caught 2 swimming a jig with a rage craw.

Attachments

• 20190615_090524.jpg
    20190615_090524.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190615_091502.jpg
    20190615_091502.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 0

RamblinWreck

The cat is out of the bag. I noticed this thread is being hot-linked to from other websites as part of a fishing report. Therefore, I will no longer be posting on this thread.

I suggest we let this thread die. Good thread, jocko, thanks, but it has run it's course.

If any of my fishing buddies want to talk about the fishing, or hook up on the lake, PM me. Otherwise...

ADIOS!

hopper

I only started this thread to help stay on top of the local electric water. Cant believe their was that many people out on the water.
I always liked the no crowd vibe of Lathem.
Hopefully it will die down crowd wise.

dank1296

Sounds good ill PM Lathem folks. Good thing about retirement dont go on weekends. 5 other boats other day

jocko755

I knew it was going to be crowded on a NICE Saturday. No biggie. I don't think you can blame this thread. The lake has alot of deep water and even the largemouth school like spots and follow bait. They go to their deep haunts when pressured. The fishery is not harmed. I think it's well managed. I didn't see anyone do any better than a few bites. Weekdays are definitely better! Despite what I heard, I'm pretty sure it was an impromptu tourney. As they all seemed to get off the water at the same time. I'm not a tournament hater. In fact, I would like to have a reservoir boat and fish some tourneys. There were some nice rigs with Elco outboards. They throw off a wake headed up lake! Impressive rigs with huge electronics. The lake was plenty big enough. Even though I counted 8 boats around me in the narrows, everyone got along and were respectful. Its unreasonable for me to expect to fish on Saturday and have the lake to myself! :ROFLMAO:

dank1296

Yep ive never had a problem finding room even on an earlier saturday when they were having a tournament. Did see a fullsize pontoon boat on water other day.

RamblinWreck

To be clear, I have no problem with this thread on GON per se, it is the hot-linking to it from other sites that I don't like.

Just put side scan on the kayak and will be going tomorrow to try it out.

hopper

To be clear, I have no problem with this thread on GON per se, it is the hot-linking to it from other sites that I don't like.

Just put side scan on the kayak and will be going tomorrow to try it out.
I would like to see some SV shots if you get a chance.
What did you end up installing, I will be in the market soon.

RamblinWreck

I bought a Garmin Echomap+ 93sv to run a Panoptix LiveScope system on my "big" boat. This was back a few months when they were on sale for $599.

Since I already have a Humminbird Helix 9 MSI+ on the big boat with amazing side scan, and I wanted the Garmin only to run LiveScope, I decided to put the Garmin 2D/DI/SS transducer on the kayak. I bought an extra cradle mount and power cable so I can just snap out - snap in the head unit from boat to kayak.

The 'bird side scan is better than the Garmin - but not by much. The Garmin holds it's own.

Eventually I'll make a LiveScope XD holder for the kayak. Once you use it - you always want it. Do you really need it? No, I've caught fish for 40 years without it, but it really is cool to have.

jocko755

One guy I spoke with said he uses side scan and saw all his fish first that he caught. I don't have electronics. Sure would be helpful on HL. Please let us know how it does.

weagle

Going to HL mid morning tomorrow. Got a new Trolling motor set up to try out and I may even get the new Garmin out of the box and hook it up. Been fishing for 50+ years and never owned a depth finder till now.

jocko755

HA! Me too! I just send down a heavy jig to see what the depth is. Fan cast until you get a bite to show you where they are. But graphs are so good now, they show fish so well. I may have to break down someday.

weagle

Didn't get there until after noon yesterday. There was a little schooling activity, and I caught about a half dozen spots. Got a couple of them on camera hitting a DonBob rig.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coenen

Was thinking about Lathem just the other day...while I was on the Hooch instead. We need to try and swing a little GON get together up there! I'll have to make the trip up here before long.

RamblinWreck

@weagle : Nice job with the ol' Cardinal. Got my old C 3 fixed up but haven't used it yet. How did the trolling motor work out? Less paddling = more fishing IMO.

Regarding the opening time: One day I went last week, I was first in the gate when it opened. I was surprised to see a red truck and trailer already parked. Went way down the lake and around the bend, and there he was in his boat, fishing. So SOMEONE gets to fish the lake earlier in the morning.

@Coenen : I'm down for that.

Last edited: