Lathem Lately?

jocko755

Wonder how that happened? Maybe an employee? or someone spent the night?

Nice job Weagle. I've yet to try live bait - but I can assume it's the ticket!

weagle

I've never fooled with live bait out there, but I know some folks that hammer the spots at Lanier with live bait.

JC33

Nice work! Good to see you catching 'em mid day on a hot summer day! I keep trying to get up about 5am to fish at dawn, but keep failing miserably, lol. Did you get most of them in deeper water? I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you were a little ways out from the shore.

Coenen

They play on Lanier with spot tails is to rig what amounts to a light downline. A 1/4oz egg sinker above a swivel, then an 18-24 leader and a small circle hook, rigged on a baitcaster.

Mark fish on sonar, send the bait down, and thumb the spool to hold it. When the fish swims away with the bait, just start reeling and collect your prize.

JC33

I'm just gonna say it...too many "rigs" now days, lol...a DonBob rig? I gotta work on my own specialty rig...the JeffyWeffy rig or something, lol. I'll have to google DonBob rig to see that one, but hey, I'm for whatever works to catch fish!!!

Ah, ok...I see, now that I googled it...that was a typo, right? Was it supposed to be "Donkey Rig?" LOL

JC33

Okay... Very cool! I honestly didn't see anything come up with a quick Google search and then saw the donkey rig and thought maybe it was just a typo. ☺️Actually, the donkey rig... Just a double fluke rig, looks like a good set up as well. But yeah, in all seriousness, the donbob rig looks pretty good...I'm all for any creative set-up that works!

weagle

Nice work! Good to see you catching 'em mid day on a hot summer day! I keep trying to get up about 5am to fish at dawn, but keep failing miserably, lol. Did you get most of them in deeper water? I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you were a little ways out from the shore.

I was in 30'-40' feet of water, calling them up. Basically in that big area across from the ramp. The bubble on that rig really sounds just like a fish hitting bait. Although I would try to get to fish while they were hitting on top, they usually come up for a few seconds and then go back down. I would just get in the general area and fan cast.

jocko755

Weagle - thanks for sharing the DonBob rig. Looks like you are working it like top water in the video? I wonder if a clear popping cork or Pop R might work with a fluke trailer? With the bobber 3/4 full - It must cast a mile? The water is SO clear - this is a realistic presentation. I also wonder if the fish are conditioned to live bait presentations and this rig takes atvantage of that? This rig splashes down and the bass think - live bait?

I'm going to give it a try, since they turn their noses to my ned rig!

weagle

Fished from about noon to 7pm. Nothing. 1st time I've been skunked in a while.

There was very little surface activity, and I was never in position to cast to any feeding fish.

In fairness to to the lake, I took my kayak with the trolling motor and did a lot more cruising and a lot less casting than normal. It's the first time I've been all the way back and under the bridge.

I doubt I'll give it another go until it cools off.

Coenen

Any of y'all know anything substantial about Hickory Log? Headed out there Saturday. Shoot me a PM, if you could.

CDW

It’s a LONG way to the dam! I’ve heard the fishing is better that way though, but over never made it that far. Other than that, good luck! I’ve been there many times and usually end up with 1 fish or a skunk. I enjoy the place, though...great for a kayak. Let us know how it turns out.

JakkBauer

Any of y'all know anything substantial about Hickory Log? Headed out there Saturday. Shoot me a PM, if you could.
i used to hit hickory log a lot when i lived in canton. it was still pretty new. maybe the fish are bigger now... its a nice spot with moderate action as far as fishing goes