Lathem Lately?

Coenen

Did you make it out to Hickory Log? How did it go!
Finished smack in the middle of the pack. My best 5 were mid 60's inches. Winner had low 80s, most of the top guys were mid 70's.

Fished it like I would Lathem, sonar watching and dropshotting. Just didn't find any big fish. Doesn't seem as well managed as Hollis Q. needs more bait to get the food chain going. Lots of better fishermen than me complained it was tough.

All in all, not bad for my first time bass fishing in probably 3 months. Stopped at Four41 South BBQ on the way home, would recommend.

Last edited:

CDW

Finished smack in the middle of the pack. My best 5 were mid 60's inches. Winner had low 80s, most of the top guys were mid 70's.

Fished it like I would Lathem, sonar watching and dropshotting. Just didn't find any big fish. Doesn't seem as well managed as Hollis Q. needs more bait to get the food chain going. Lots of better fishermen than me complained it was tough.

All in all, not bad for my first time bass fishing in probably 3 months. Stopped at Four41 South BBQ on the way home, would recommend.

Not bad at all. It’s always been a tough lake for me, but I enjoy it there. Been wondering about the bbq joint too, love trying out new places.

fishnjay

Not bad at all. It’s always been a tough lake for me, but I enjoy it there. Been wondering about the bbq joint too, love trying out new places.

Four41 bbq is legit. Great, family ran business.

I fished Hickory last week
For the first time. It looked promising, but was a slow day. Marked some schools of fish. Looking to get back out there again!

dank1296

Went this mornng kinda slow but alot top water activity just couldnt get to bite. Ended with one slab crappie a nice largemouth one spot.

dank1296

4 Largemouth one nice 2lb spot. Hot need break to get fish going. Did see quite alot of topwater and Rambling Wreck was out there

RamblinWreck

It was a dink-fest for me.

RamblinWreck

Forgot to mention today was a bad day:
Forgot fishfinder head unit.
I tied a bad knot somehow, and lost a brand-new ($13) spinbait 80 g-fix on the first cast.
I spilled my coffee; forgot a towel.
Only caught 5, all dinks.
Nicked a tree backing in carelessly at home, and bashed off my right rear trailer tail light.
(n)

RamblinWreck

Should have went with you. I went to the big pond and got royally skunked dropping jigs to fish on brush with lockjaw. I think the afternoons are better than the mornings in fall. I'll test that theory today. Wish I could fish Lathem right around sundown. I hate the off-season hours.

Coenen

Gonna resurrect this guy. Gonna head up in the AM provided the weather holds. Any reports available? Summer patterns starting to kick in?

Coenen

They're opening a bit before 8 as well. At least they were for this weekend.

I went out yesterday and today. Had some success over the open water with a small swimbait both days. Lost several up shallow today on a wacky rig. Tried a new hook from what I've been using. I'll be switching back ASAP. You've got to send it from a mile away to get the bite up shallow.

Fish seemed to be really in tune with the solunar table, or it could just be a coincidence. I caught pretty much everything during yesterday's afternoon major, and had the majority of my action today during the late morning minor.

jocko755

I went last week. Saw a ton of small rice size Fry hanging on wood lay downs. A rouge spot would occasionally bust on the fry, but ignore any offerings.

I hooked a nice LMB on a spinnerbait on a deep grass point, he jumped and threw the hook.

Tough fishing. Lake was packed.

Coenen

Got out Monday from 1 to 3 ahead of the storms. Caught 3 on spinnerbaits. Place was empty. Only 1 other boat.
I was out Sunday, got 6 or 8 junk fishing. 3 that were respectable and a bunch of dinks. Whopper Plopper, Jig, Neko rig, swimbait and spybait all caught fish. Swimbait carried the majority of the groceries.

If you're still pressing the shallow cover bite, give the Neko rig a shot. The nail weighted worm stands up nicely and doesn't gather slop in that shallow vegetation like a typical bottom contact bait.

Latest posts