Lathem Lately?

Coenen

It has been reported there are some bluebacks in the lake now. Lake manager doesn't think there are very many. Not enough personnel to inspect everyone's live well coming in, but you can bet some "bucket biologist" put them in there. Jerks.
I should've taken some pictures. I worked the jaw, and it didn't open out like a blueback's does, so I don't think it was a blueback. Maybe some other related species an alewife maybe?

I've seen some significant bait schools at the surface that didn't appear to be threadfins. I guess that's what I was seeing. It may be for the best. The shad they were busting yesterday looked to be dime size or smaller in some cases.

Just anecdotal, but I'm concerned the lake may have peaked and begun to decline a bit as a bass fishery(at least). Maybe I'm only good at busting small fish, though.

weagle

Went out Sunday for just a little while so me and my wife try out my new pedal kayak. I took a rod with a ned rig tied on and ran into a couple of schools busting shad. Made about 10 casts and caught 2. Had to leave to make it to a dinner commitment, or I think I would have slayed them.

118365708_10159114504688949_4770450321374499613_n.jpg118443057_10159114504493949_2021506773705956439_n.jpg

weagle

Great! How’s your new pedal yak? What’d you get?

I bought a Pelican Catch 110 HD. I love it. My first Kayak was a Catch 100 and then I wanted a Kayak to be able to cover some water on the watershed lakes like Hollis Lathem, so I bought a catch 120 and put a trolling motor on it.

Recently Pelican came out with the Catch 110 which is only slightly larger than my Catch 100 and it has the pedal drive. I figure I can use it with or with out the drive plus there's a trolling motor option if you really want to cover some water.

It seems the best of all worlds. Light and handy without the drive to use in small ponds and rivers and able to cover more water like the bigger kayaks with the pedal drive or motor.

Geffellz18

Weather worked out, so I loaded the yaks up and headed out there with a buddy before the official opening and fished a little before getting off to work.
Did pretty well early. Was fun watching the blow ups. Shad literally flying a foot in the air and smaller bass smashing bait ball.
Most of my freshwater gear is in South FL for my trip down there next week to target some exotics, primarily peacocks, along with hitting the salt for some snook too hopefully.
Did happen to pick up a shad colored Scatter rap and that did the trick this morning to get a few to the boat.
Boated 5-6 total, lost as many or more than that, including one that shook off right at the boat.
All in all a fun morning.
Will definitely return!
B1FA312E-841B-47E0-BC08-C77573209F58.jpeg
3C1876C1-5D73-43C2-A572-4F470604E43E.jpegDD276416-2279-49A4-BBC6-420FECF4797A.jpeg
08E2D68C-42FA-4CF6-AE0B-2ABB4232D15C.jpeg

OwlRNothing

Lathem was my home water for a couple of years. I wouldn't worry too much about the bluebacks and the LMB. The habitat for LMB in Lathem is pretty scarce as it is, with most of the lake being 20-80 ft. deep or so. Plenty of trees and timber and coves with shallow water, but it's never going to be a really awesome LMB lake. That said, this fish came from there and I caught a couple more that were over 5lbs. in those two years. It's also a nice place to avoid the "Lake Lanier Jet Ski Races and Idiot Show" on the weekends, too. Just know you're going to catch lots of little bass, some 10-15 inches and few over 15. Unless things have changed in this last year when I didn't get to fish it. Those are some great pics and very nice fish for Lathem, Geffellz18. thanks for sharing those. I miss fishing there, and the guy who watches over the lake is one heck of a nice guy. Wayne? Stan? Ah, this old man memory I've developed. PS. - before someone balks at the " 8 pounder " thing - I'm a big, fat, ugly motherchicken and if you'll notice, this wasn't one of those "4 ft. arms" pics b/c I was taking it myself, after just flipping my kayak in the middle of the fight with this pig. It was at least 7.999. :) #truestory

Attachments

• 8 pounder.jpg
    8 pounder.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 24
  • treesstandingtimber.jpg
    treesstandingtimber.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 24

weagle

Caught 12 today. Mostly smallish spots with a couple of 2 lb LM being the best of the day Caught the first 10 on topwater in the area across from the ramp. I caught 2 on the way back to the landing on a rapala I was trolling.

Dbdom123

Where do you get you guys get live bait? I just moved to the area and haven’t found a place where I can buy some yet.

Coenen

Where do you get you guys get live bait? I just moved to the area and haven’t found a place where I can buy some yet.
Hammond's is probably the closest place.

jocko755

Is that your cork rig? Man Weagle you slay em on that. LM & Spots

I like the lake during deer season. And turkey season. It's empty and the bass bite all year.

weagle

Is that your cork rig? Man Weagle you slay em on that. LM & Spots

I like the lake during deer season. And turkey season. It's empty and the bass bite all year.

Yep, the Don Bob rig. It was money if I could near schooling fish and caught several just fan casting in areas where the shad were.

OwlRNothing

On the east side if you happen to be near Gainesville, Sherry's Bait and BBQ always had killer fresh bait - and the BBQ was good too. Ribs were ok, but pulled pork was always excellent. It's about 35 min. from Sherry's to Lathem if I remember right.

weagle

Caught one small bass and lost a decent one yesterday. I figured the top water bite would be going, but I only saw one school come up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>