Laying the smackdown in Jasper County!

ditchdoc24

I've been battling hogs for the past several months. They started coming up into my mother in law's yard and rooting it up. Needless to say, she was less than pleased and begged me to do something about it. I borrowed a couple of traps and started running them with some success but they got trap shy really fast. I was getting trail cam pictures of hogs all around my traps but wouldn't set foot near the triggers. I finally ended up borrowing a rifle with a thermal scope and that has made a huge difference. I killed a decent sow a couple of weeks ago and the hogs disappeared. I knew they were still in the area because my neighbors were telling me they still had them so I knew they'd be back. I got a call last week as I was heading to work from one of my neighbors who was having problems with hogs tearing up his food plots. So we went out yesterday afternoon and relocated one of my hog traps to the area where he had a bunch of rooting. We also set up a ladder stand overlooking the plot. So I woke up about 0230 this morning, got dressed and eased out to the stand while scanning with the thermal. I spotted this big rascal in the plot so I eased up the ladder and got set up for the shot. One shot and he ran off. I sat in the stand for about an hour before climbing down. He ran about 50 yards into the woods and piled up. I'm guessing he's at least 250-300lbs and he's definitely the biggest hog I've killed so far. I've already got my thermal scope on order and working on getting the Form 4 finished for a suppressor. This is getting addicting.

Attachments

• 5E9F7B18-087E-4892-A7A3-B2299BAF070A.jpeg
    5E9F7B18-087E-4892-A7A3-B2299BAF070A.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 439A7BF3-B810-4132-848E-8E09BE3F3B22.jpeg
    439A7BF3-B810-4132-848E-8E09BE3F3B22.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 106

CroMagnum

Sounds like a lot of fun. If you'd like some company let me know. I'm just over in Newton county and have been dying to start hog hunting.

jammeri5

They’ll be rooting up the square before you know it. Neighbors killed a few just outside the Monticello city limits a week or 2 back.

BamaGeorgialine

Hunting hogs at night is a huge adrenaline rush. I hunt them at night with my bow. It's insane how the woods come alive around midnight. I've heard noises that I haven't any idea what it was and makes the hair on the back of my neck raise up. I absolutely love it. Congratulations on the big pig

ditchdoc24

Curious what brand/model Thermal you’ve been using & which one did you order? I’m thinking of picking one up this year?
The thermal I'm currently using is a military surplus scope I have from my job. It works pretty well. It's a MX-2A made by DRS Technologies. The one I ordered is a Pulsar RXQ30V and I ordered it from Night Vision Outfitters. It's a basic thermal scope and doesn't come with some features such as video recording. It has pretty good reviews and should be plenty for shooting hogs and coyotes within 100-200 yards.

Jonboater

Try moving your trap about 20-40 yards and you should just trapping them again. We had the same problem when trapping them,and just moving a little worked. Catch a few and then have to move it again.

jammeri5

Curious what brand/model Thermal you’ve been using & which one did you order? I’m thinking of picking one up this year?
I use a pulsar rxq30. It’s the cheapest pulsar I could get but I’ve been impressed. It doesn’t have video capabilities or a range finder but I don’t really need it in central ga. Battery life seems decent but I’m not an all night hunter. Range is good. I can easily identify deer out to 250 yards or so. Hits a 12 inch steel target at 100 yards every time. I don’t know anything about the other brands. I went with pulsar based on recommendations from friends that have them

ditchdoc24

Well, after being at work for two nights, I got a couple nights off. So I woke up around 0215 this morning and eased my way out to the same field. I scanned the field with the scope as I came in and didn’t see anything. After climbing into my ladder stand, I scanned the field again and this rascal popped out of the tree line in front of me. He got nervous and started moseying his way across the field so I decided to stop him from doing that. One shot and he started running out of the field. I could see him bleeding through the scope so I knew he was hit solidly. I gave him 30-40 minutes before climbing down to track him. He didn’t even make it out of the field and I found him just short of the tree line. He’s not quite as big as the previous one but he’s still about 200-250 lbs. I’ll be back out there tonight and then give it a break for the weekend. I love hunting hogs with a thermal and just put my paperwork in the mail for my suppressor.

Attachments

• EC22246E-E3FB-4A9A-854B-E7100FA90B0B.jpeg
    EC22246E-E3FB-4A9A-854B-E7100FA90B0B.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 85A6F341-9A01-410B-B76A-193C4DDAE777.jpeg
    85A6F341-9A01-410B-B76A-193C4DDAE777.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 36
  • C57B778A-95DC-40BB-AAC8-57190CF757C1.jpeg
    C57B778A-95DC-40BB-AAC8-57190CF757C1.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 34

sleepr71

Big Hog?Isn’t it funny that the bigger/older ones move mostly at night!? I guess they get like older deer & learn to avoid humans that way.

ditchdoc24

Big Hog?Isn’t it funny that the bigger/older ones move mostly at night!? I guess they get like older deer & learn to avoid humans that way.
You may be right. While I've seen hogs during the day, they seem to be the most active at night. I just got back in the house from the stand. No joy this morning but I heard someone open up rapidly firing a rifle somewhere in the area. I'm guessing the hogs decided to visit him this morning. I still had a good couple of hours sitting in the stand and listening to the woods while watching 2 does feed in the field. They never knew I was there.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Man that’s awesome ! I know you are doing nuisance control but I’d have to put a knife on that last one! He looks very healthy like he’s been eating Good!

chase870

Possum Sox
I've been battling hogs for the past several months. They started coming up into my mother in law's yard and rooting it up. Needless to say, she was less than pleased and begged me to do something about it. I borrowed a couple of traps and started running them with some success but they got trap shy really fast. I was getting trail cam pictures of hogs all around my traps but wouldn't set foot near the triggers. I finally ended up borrowing a rifle with a thermal scope and that has made a huge difference. I killed a decent sow a couple of weeks ago and the hogs disappeared. I knew they were still in the area because my neighbors were telling me they still had them so I knew they'd be back. I got a call last week as I was heading to work from one of my neighbors who was having problems with hogs tearing up his food plots. So we went out yesterday afternoon and relocated one of my hog traps to the area where he had a bunch of rooting. We also set up a ladder stand overlooking the plot. So I woke up about 0230 this morning, got dressed and eased out to the stand while scanning with the thermal. I spotted this big rascal in the plot so I eased up the ladder and got set up for the shot. One shot and he ran off. I sat in the stand for about an hour before climbing down. He ran about 50 yards into the woods and piled up. I'm guessing he's at least 250-300lbs and he's definitely the biggest hog I've killed so far. I've already got my thermal scope on order and working on getting the Form 4 finished for a suppressor. This is getting addicting.

You will get addicted to killing things at night. Which thermal are you getting?