LCP II .380

rosewood

I too carry the 90 grain Critical Defense. When I looked at the comparisions with other 380 ammo, they seemed to have the best penetration vs expansion of all tested. And that little plastic insert keeps the lint out of the hollowpoint.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I became an LCP convert as well. Setting aside ballistics discussions, I found I could shoot it better than my J-frame revolver (5-shot .38 special). For me, two more rounds, better pocket profile, and less weight wins for the intended use of this tool.

I still like the older LCP (Gen 2), slimmer profile, double action only trigger, over the newer blockier- Glock-ier" looking LCP II (Roman Numeral). The LCP II has advantages as mentioned, including the slide locking open after the last round, and a single action style trigger reset, and arguably better sights, (not that we'll ever use them).

This newest model of the LCP (gen 2) has front serrations on the slide, and the skeletonized trigger, stainless slide, and can be purchased for ~ $200 "out the door" at a local gun shop near me. #3791 Some models, distributed as "Davidson's Gallery of Guns Exclusive" come with a lifetime free replacement warranty.
LCP # 3791
5.jpg

So, this is the weapon I never hesitate to carry with me, any weather, any clothing. Combined with a DeSantis Nemesis holster, no printing, trigger covered.
n38_nmsis_lcp_c_xlarge2_1489.jpg

The newer LCP II is also a great buy, but usually ~ $ 250 with careful shopping.
LCP II
4.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
It's called inceptor now, the Ruger arx line was discontinued. I prefer the Underwood Leigh defense loads to the inceptor 380, but the inceptor is a good, cheaper alternative.

Nah... It's fine and certainly not cheap. Last 2 boxes I got were $19.99 per a box of 25.

I can say I gave a few designs a very good look, including Underwood.

The ARX's is the best for carrying in .380. IMO.

Last edited:

nmurph

I went to buy one and left with a sw bodyguard instead. The lcp2 isn't striker fired like I thought and I preferred the trigger and general feel of the bodyguard better.

Same here.

I too carry the 90 grain Critical Defense. When I looked at the comparisions with other 380 ammo, they seemed to have the best penetration vs expansion of all tested. And that little plastic insert keeps the lint out of the hollowpoint.

Rosewood

I feed my BG the 90g CD.

My Bodyguard is EDC in the front pocket. My has a CT laser. Def a get off-me gun.

Dub

My wife has carried the LCP .380 in her purse for years.

I've also been carrying other small guns in pocket holsters, too. Are they as accurate and effective as a full railed 1911 with a light mounted on it ??.......nope.....BUT.......they are certainly better than my left jab & right roundhouse punches are these days. :rofl:

For whatever reason the 442 wheelgun has been the most often toted lately.

I've shot my wife's LCP .380 and found it to be predictably snappy, but not so bad. She can recover it and make follow-up shots nicely. I'm glad she has it tucked in her purse.

Like my own pocket guns, her LCP isn't much for sights and requires a deliberate trigger pull. For the short distance emergency situations they'd ever be used in....perfectly acceptable. My only beef with wanting a pocket rocket with better sights and trigger is when I'm in the woods and want to shoot a stubborn moccasin that is between me and where I'm headed in to a stand....and don't want to fool with him on the way out. Sights are helpful then. :rofl:

Pocket guns and the like are important. They are the one's you'll have with you when you may not be wearing a belt and have other options.

Ruger has continued to up the ante with their offerings on these.

doomtrpr_z71

Nah... It's fine and certainly not cheap. Last 2 boxes I got were $19.99 per a box of 25.

I can say I gave a few designs a very good look, including Underwood.

The ARX's is the best for carrying in .380. IMO.
Midway has the inceptor for $11.63 a box of 25.

frankwright

I have an LCP 2 and love it. All day everyday in my pocket
Me too. As soon as I get up and put pants or shorts on the LCPII is with me.
It has a nasty little bark at the range but I can make head shots while moving pretty much on demand.
I hope it will give me time to get to a bigger gun which is never too far away!

rosewood

I hope it will give me time to get to a bigger gun which is never too far away!
That is always my plan. The little gun is just to buy time for retreat to more firepower.

Big7

The Oracle
It's called inceptor now, the Ruger arx line was discontinued. I prefer the Underwood Leigh defense loads to the inceptor 380, but the inceptor is a good, cheaper alternative.

Thanks for the info.

I looked up the Interceptor. Their website says the new Interceptor is designed to expand.

The biggest thing that made me an ARX fan in the first place. They are NOT designed to expand. To me, expanding is something I don't want in a .380 carry round. Also, that funny negative rake ARX was designed to tumble. To me, that wound channel is far nastier than any expanding round which reduces penetration or FMJ' that neither expands or tumbles.

Guess I'm glad I purchased 2 boxes when I bought my 2 380's.

I recommend all here on GON to find the ARX, try them and carry them.

Last edited:

doomtrpr_z71

Thanks for the info.

I looked up the Interceptor. Their website says the new Interceptor is designed to expand.

The biggest thing that made me an ARX fan in the first place. They are NOT designed to expand. To me, expanding is something I don't want in a .380 carry round. Also, that funny negative rake ARX was designed to tumble. To me, that wound channel is far nastier than any expanding round which reduces penetration or FMJ' that neither expands or tumbles.

Guess I'm glad I purchased 2 boxes when I bought my 2 380's.

I recommend all here on GON to find the ARX, try them and carry them.
Inceptor not interceptor, its doesn't expand, its loaded with the same bullet as the ARX as they are one and the same. Inceptor had a licensing agreement with Ruger, its expired so no more of the ARX branded stuff, it will be branded inceptor going forward.

Big7

The Oracle
Inceptor not interceptor, its doesn't expand, its loaded with the same bullet as the ARX as they are one and the same. Inceptor had a licensing agreement with Ruger, its expired so no more of the ARX branded stuff, it will be branded inceptor going forward.

I could swear when I looked up their home page, they said it did expand. I've got 2 boxes of the ARX so that will keep me good on .380 carry ammo for a very long time.
I'll still use FMJ range for practice, although one of your post' stated that it's not very expensive under the new brand. Might have to grab a few boxes to shoot at the range.

Anyhooo... Thanks for the response. I'll go back to their page to clarify.

Big7

The Oracle
Looks like they were expanding their line. NOT that they are expanding projectiles.

Thanks for the post. I have that cleared up now.?

I'll grab some to practice with. The fact that they were designed to tumble, rather than expand, make that a no- brainer for me. At least in .380 caliber.?

doomtrpr_z71

I could swear when I looked up their home page, they said it did expand. I've got 2 boxes of the ARX so that will keep me good on .380 carry ammo for a very long time.
I'll still use FMJ range for practice, although one of your post' stated that it's not very expensive under the new brand. Might have to grab a few boxes to shoot at the range.

Anyhooo... Thanks for the response. I'll go back to their page to clarify.
Yeah, I just meant the arx was cheaper than Underwood +p extreme penetrators. Midways price on the inceptor 380 is cheap since they have it for$11.73 right now.

Big7

The Oracle
And... This just in...
According to an article in the March 2020 issue of. American Rifleman, the LCP line of pocket pistols- Ruger is in process of putting the little LCP out in .22 Long Rifle caliber.

I'll probably get rid of my Ruger SR-22 and putting proceeds toward an LCP in .22 Long Rifle. Or, maybe a single action revolver to "hunt" beer cans with.?

rosewood

If it is tumbling, it won't penetrate as well. Maybe even less than an expanding bullet.

Big7

The Oracle
If it is tumbling, it won't penetrate as well. Maybe even less than an expanding bullet.

rosewood.

There are some YouTube tests you might be interested in seeing. The one's I've saw are in regard to the ARX.

They filmed with those vs/vs/vs hollow points, FMJ...
The ARX performed very well in the LCP's against ballistic gel and heavier clothing.

JR1

Federal is coming out with a 380 round that is FBI approved, meaning it will penetrate 12", which is their requirement from what I read.

Reactions: Dub