Learn to tie a Cicada: Saturday 5/8 on Zoom

Steve Hudson

The cicadas are coming! I'm seeing stories about them on the news, and I'm hearing that the first ones are showing up on the water too -- to the delight of any fish nearby!

There's no doubt about it. Fish love to chow down on cicadas -- and for fly tyers, it's not hard to tie effective imitations!

If you're a tyer, here's something you might enjoy: This Saturday at 10 a.m. (May 8) on The Tying Bench, a free weekly online fly tying clinic presented via Zoom, we'll be tying a great Brood X Cicada fly!

This easy-to-tie pattern is an excellent imitation of the actual Brood X insects, which appear only once every 17 years. The colors we'll use have been chosen with Brood X in mind. But you can imitate cicadas from other broods simply by modifying the color scheme. It's a versatile pattern that fish love, and I think you will too.

Zoom log-in info and a complete list of the materials you'll need can be found. PM me.

There is no charge to be a part of The Tying Bench, and all are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Ordered three of your kits this morning so I’ll be sure to also figure out what zoom is and get a few cicada tied up.

trad bow

Do I need the zoom app or how would I connect?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

trad bow

Got tied up helping my mother and let the time get away from me.

Steve Hudson

Fly ty ig is important, but it's more important to help one's mom!

We had a great time this morning. Thanks to everyone who participated! I believe that some great cicadas were tied, and I hope folks will enjoy fishing them -- whether during the cicada emergence or at other times as well. As we mentioned, the pattern we tied is a great all-around surface fly for bass!

Several who were not able to make it this morning have asked if we might do the cicada program again. If the schedule allows, I'll see if I can set up a second session sometime this coming week -- most likely on Friday evening. If that happens, I'll post it here on the site.

Be well --

Steve

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Fly ty ig is important, but it's more important to help one's mom!

We had a great time this morning. Thanks to everyone who participated! I believe that some great cicadas were tied, and I hope folks will enjoy fishing them -- whether during the cicada emergence or at other times as well. As we mentioned, the pattern we tied is a great all-around surface fly for bass!

Several who were not able to make it this morning have asked if we might do the cicada program again. If the schedule allows, I'll see if I can set up a second session sometime this coming week -- most likely on Friday evening. If that happens, I'll post it here on the site.

Be well --

Steve

That would be great if you could make it happen. Or if you video'd the session it could be posted on some media. I know one organization associated with UGA that I am a member of records and posts zoom meetings after the fact so you can watch it again.