Learning day by day

Blakester

I just wanted to say thank to all of you that share info on here. I got to this game a little late in life in my later 40's and never really had fished before. However I found this site a few weeks ago and think I have tried to pick apart everything I can learn as well as YouTube. I thought it was going to be easy, buy a pole and throw on something and reel it in lol. Well after weeks and weeks of learning the baitcaster I have more respect for those of you that can put that lure right where it needs to be. While I still cant get it there all the time I am getting better. So if you guys are fishing and you see some guy around Columbus lost and get a chuckle from watching him say Hi because its probably me trying to figure out this all out. Anyway thanks for all the info hopefully one day I can contribute as well.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I just wanted to say thank to all of you that share info on here. I got to this game a little late in life in my later 40's and never really had fished before. However I found this site a few weeks ago and think I have tried to pick apart everything I can learn as well as YouTube. I thought it was going to be easy, buy a pole and throw on something and reel it in lol. Well after weeks and weeks of learning the baitcaster I have more respect for those of you that can put that lure right where it needs to be. While I still cant get it there all the time I am getting better. So if you guys are fishing and you see some guy around Columbus lost and get a chuckle from watching him say Hi because its probably me trying to figure out this all out. Anyway thanks for all the info hopefully one day I can contribute as well.
You couldn't have found a better place or folks on the web. Might I make one suggestion? Bait casters are hard to learn even for those that had fish'n poles in their hand since they could walk. Might want to get a good open face (spinning) set until you get the fish'n part down some what, and get a few fish landed. Good luck and tight lines.

oldfella1962

agree about spinning reels (or even spin cast reels) being optimal. They can cast a variety of lures/baits for a wide variety of fish species & techniques. And with a spinning reel you can feather the line when you cast and drop your lure/bait into a tiny pocket with a little practice.

Blakester

You couldn't have found a better place or folks on the web. Might I make one suggestion? Bait casters are hard to learn even for those that had fish'n poles in their hand since they could walk. Might want to get a good open face (spinning) set until you get the fish'n part down some what, and get a few fish landed. Good luck and tight lines.
I got a couple of open face as well, one Shimano and one Lew's just to try them all as well. They were very much easer to use. Thank you for the advice as well.

GTMODawg

BANNED
agree about spinning reels (or even spin cast reels) being optimal. They can cast a variety of lures/baits for a wide variety of fish species & techniques. And with a spinning reel you can feather the line when you cast and drop your lure/bait into a tiny pocket with a little practice.

I have used both for years but to be honest I have never found an upside to using a casting reel over a spinning reel. I can use both marginally well but I much prefer spinning reels for everything that requires casting. Casting reels are marginally more "comfortable" making hundreds of casts an hour but in my opinion only marginally so and the difference in accuracy is night and day....and I don't know anyone who can skip a live bait under cover with a casting reel as consistently as they can with a spinning reel and that bait is for certain going to swing under cover when skipped from a casting reel instead of falling directly on a spinning reel. I almost never use a casting reel now.....