Led strip lights for navigation

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
They Look great. If they also show 22.5 degrees abaft the beam and no more then they are also legal.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I have a "work light" on my talon that is, I'm sure, not legal because it's not 360, but it is a shoot load better than my pole stern light

TimPaige

It also looks cool when it's evening and you just park the boat. When more boat owners gather together and use all these leds, it almost transforms in a light show, and the atmosphere instantly becomes chill and pleasant. I am using similar lights for my car as well, I got them from vont.com and for only 15$ they are amazing. The interior of my car changed so much, my friends can't even recognize it anymore. It's definitely look way better and I am very happy about it.

Last edited:

across the river

And a lot of people don't know why it's important for both colors of the bow light not to be visible simultaneously.. If you cross the heading of a lit boat at night a couple hundred or more yds away you will see the light change color suddenly as you cross. This is because the light of the strong side overpowers the little bit of light from the weak side. The sides are divided. This lets a knowledgeable boater underway assess very quickly whether or not a vessel approaching him from the beam side is headed in front of him or behind him. With only a glance. This is pertinent with quickly deciding who is the give way vessel.The vessel on the right should stay on course.

I would have thought that all LEOs operating a patrol vessel would be as studied and tested in this at least as much as those of us who have acquired a USGS Captain's license (6-pack), Even if they don't have to document the hundreds of hours navigating outside of inlets, rivers, and passes. After all, they are working on a boat...

If the boat is coming straight at you, then you should she both.

bassboy1

Yes the pole is not a requirement. Here’s an example of mine they are built into the hull but you can see how they’re angled (from factory) to meet the requirement. I do a lot of nighttime boating and I’ll say regardless of what the actual law says it is very frustrating to other boaters when folks have all sorts of non compliant lights shining every which way. The intent of the lights is to ensure other boaters can determine from a safe distance that there is another boat present, which direction that boat is facing or angled, and if the boat is under power or anchored. Just keep that in mind, I’ve had a few very scary instances in the past where I almost hit smaller boats due to a lack of compliance. I’m sure accountability is probably a lot more lax on some of the smaller inland lakes but I can promise there would be tickets being written left and right out on the coast for some of the rigs I’ve seen floating. Whatever you do, stay safe out there!

View attachment 1155543

Technically, those aren't legal either. International Navigation rules spec bow lights to be above the rubrail.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Just wondering how many GON member's boats are operating in International Waters.