Lessons for the newbies, from a newbie

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It’s amazing how you can have so much fun spending a week at deer camp, but it’s so disappointing coming home empty. I may have jinxed myself thinking how easy it was gonna be to get at least one deer. Not much moving til last light, but it was pretty hot! We still had chances, several. Anywho, All of my sits were filled with excitement, failures, fun and disappointment, and I learned a lot! Some of the things I learned I’ve heard before, but never faced it in reality,so I’ll start there with that one.
1)Don’t push a wounded deer! Seriously! We’ve all heard folks say to back out, give him a few hours to expire etc.. It sounds easy, but it’s much easier said than done! I saw first hand how far a wounded deer can go, no matter how much blood they spill along the way! Hopefully lesson learned! I’m gonna try and I look forward to waiting out a bleeding deer! NO MORE CHASING IF I don’t see or at least hear it CRASH!
2)I had a doe blow at my skylined sit one morning. The side of the valley I was on had 3 tiers, I was at the top, she was below on the middle tier. The next morning, I climbed a tree down 1 level, close to where she was the day before. This time when she showed up, she stood about 20 yards to my left and stared directly at the tree I was in the AM before. I watched her for 20 minutes at least and her only movement was slight foot adjustments like she was getting a lil cramped up! Then a small buck showed up. He came in but stayed down on the lower tier. Another 10-20 minutes go by, she is still looking for me! I bet 40 minutes she looked intently for me! Finally she and the buck just boogered out! On another sit, I watched a doe look up at a field for 15-20 minutes and never move! I’m focusing on remaining much more still than in the past! It’s hard for me to remain still, but I’m trying hard and doing better!
3)Grunt calls work! As that doe and young buck boogered out of sight, I leaned forward and hit my grunt with 2 short grunts. The buck came right back to within 20 and again blocked by trees as he milled his way directly under and past me!
4)Don’t be afraid of peeing in the woods! Oh I never have been, but I’ve heard of folks peeing in a bottle etc… not me never! I Had a buck come right under my stand and sniff my pee spot, but ignore the scrape that was 5 or 6’ away.
5) no number 5, but keep having fun y’all and don’t give up! Killing a deer ain’t as easy for some folks as it is others. Somehow I managed to schedule a return trip to Kentucky next week! Taking the .308 this time!

01Foreman400

Staff member
As long as you are learning and having fun that’s all that really matters. If it was easy it wouldn’t be fun for very long. Enjoy the process. Some days you think you got it figured out then the next you can’t do anything right. That’s normal. LOL

uturn

As long as you are learning and having fun that’s all that really matters. If it was easy it wouldn’t be fun for very long. Enjoy the process. Some days you think you got it figured out then the next you can’t do anything right. That’s normal. LOL
Spot on right here!! And, you done good Friendly!

Full Draw McGraw

I've had entire seasons where i thought i had it all figured out (this year), and others where i couldn't do anything right (last year).
Keep at it Bfriendly, one of these days everything is going to come together for you.

rugerfan

Good stuff B, I have had years ( the last couple) every time I stepped in the woods I was seeing bucks, this year I can't seem to find any bucks or any fresh buck sign.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Keep after it, man! Enjoy the process as others have said.

I got busted by a doe at about 20 feet this morning. I was on the ground and never knew she was there till she blew and took off.

Bout scared me to death! :rofl:

Excitement's excitement, right?

I normally have a freezer full by now, but so far the only thing I've kilt is a coyote. It just hasn't been my time yet.

On the other hand, my son has killed two, my grandson has killed two, and a club friend got one he's been after for a couple seasons.

From that angle, it's a good season so far, and I am glad to be out in it!!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Thank goodness that in hunting the trip is just as good as the destination.

This morning I saw what was probably the largest buck I have ever seen on my place. 180 yards or so down the powerline. When he came out of the woods he was on my land 4 steps later he was on the neighboring club's land and in shoulder high broom straw. No shot. 10 minutes later a very nice 8pt came out at the same spot and posed for a while but I am still trying to save a good one for my Grandson.

What a wonderful morning in the woods. For a minute or two there I felt like I was 65 again. LOL

RipperIII

I often hear folks say "if you do this, that, or the other,...your just educating that deer"...I see it a little different...that deer is educating me

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’m trying to get more daring when I actually see deer. It is much easier to freeze or remain still when deer are close, but you have to move! Especially with the bow! Seems like if they are not looking at you but you can see them, you can move(silently) quite a bit without getting busted. I have had several instances where I never saw a deer because I froze and never looked.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I’m trying to get more daring when I actually see deer. It is much easier to freeze or remain still when deer are close, but you have to move!.
Exactly. There is that old gunfighter saying: "Take your time in a hurry."

You can move a lot with a deer looking right at you so long as you do it in a controlled move keeping your hands, weapon, elbows and everything else as close to your body as possible. No quick motions and no flailing about. It will surprise you what you can get away with.

@Railroader gives good advice. If a deer gets two of those on you you he will not be there long.