Let’s Get it started. 2018 Acorn Report

goshenmountainman

Any hoofed animal will have loud stomping sounds when they run, a bear sounds like a big animal running, but you can almost here their flat feet hitting the ground, kinda like if you ran across your yard with bear feet with no shoes, kinda hard to explain but they don't have the loud thump like deer and hogs.

Rabun

Good information Goshen and Christian...I always go to school reading these posts. I'm wondering if the acorn production is correlated to protected stands of oaks with respect to Irma's winds last sept? Areas I've found production are in areas with minimal Irma tree damage.

goshenmountainman

I think it has most to do with where the killing frosts settled, places where there is almost always a little wind seem to be the places that I found acorns this year, but around our hay fields there is always frost and it settles there first so I don't know if there really is a reason or not. Makes me scratch my head trying to figure this stuff out..

Rabun

I guess I'm still blaming things on Irma...she ruined my surprise 60th birthday in the keys last Sept and almost killed me when a hung up tree crown just missed landing on me early October. I feel scorned LOL