Let’s See Your Retriever

BigPimpin

This is Deke, my 13 month old. He is the first retriever I’ve had professionally trained. He just came back from 7 months of school. I don’t know who learned more up there, me or him. Having him up there and spending time with the trainer has been one of the best things I’ve done. If everything keeps going well, I hope he gets to pick up a few birds this season. Let’s see your duck dog and tell us a little about him/her!1DED88DE-C1CD-4EEE-9916-08DEA8A921E7.jpeg

ghadarits

I sure do love this dog. She's dedicated to me to a fault. I have to leave her against her wishes a lot this time of year due to her not ever wanting to stop and getting over heated if I'm not careful. Oolie will be 9yo this year and has been about as good a dog as a guy could ask for in a hunting and fishing partner. I've been very fortunate to have several really good dogs in my hunting career and would put her right up at the top of the list. The really funny thing about her is that she doesn't give one flip about a bird until I pickup a shotgun or get out some type of training gear then a switch is flipped and she is on the job. My all time favorite retrieve of hers was on a woodie that I shot at and thought I missed but it apparently went down about 40 yards behind some trees. I kept hunting and when I shot my next bird and sent her she wanted to go the wrong way and after correcting her she made the retrieve I wanted her to make. Then after one more bird that finished my limit she wanted to go after the bird I didn't know I had hit and I corrected her again she made the retrieve I wanted and we packed it in but she refused to come with me until she went and retrieved the bird I thought I had missed. I'll probably get another dog in the next year or so to start bringing up to speed but will sure hate the day I have to leave her at home and go on a hunt without her.Oolie at the Scarborough pond.jpg

040.PNG

Attachments

• Oolie 1-17-17.png
    Oolie 1-17-17.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

mattuga

Banned
Those are some great looking dogs fellas.

I'm realizing that I don't take enough pictures of my dog. She is 13yo and retired due to eyesight and hearing loss. I'm currently looking for her replacement. Of course this past season was her first not hunting and I killed a band opening day haha. Someone always starts cutting onions around me when think about her last hunt.

Attachments

• 3rd woodie.jpg
    3rd woodie.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Chasing duck.jpg
    Chasing duck.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 92
  • fetch.jpg
    fetch.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 91
  • Quail.jpg
    Quail.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 98
  • SEMO.jpg
    SEMO.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Trained.jpg
    Trained.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 131

flatsmaster

MattUga .. great pic ... The only way I could stack treats on my dogs nose is if she didn’t like them .... I mean she is super steady and does not break but a pup roni close to her mouth ?? Forget it ... good luck with your pup search ... Sky had 8 pups 6 blk and 2 yella and all sold before there first breathe thank goodness ... 4 wks old tomorrow and mom is passing the baton to the person that created this situation ... 3 of the 8 already using the rabbit pan most of the time .. why can’t I live in Ga where people can pickup at 7 wks not 8 ?12A2E607-5CB2-4F4F-9FEC-2B7D80AAA69D.jpeg

SLY22

Useles Member !
This is Woody ( Boykin Spaniel ) he turned 1 year old in May. Spent 5 months professionally trained. Also my 1st hunting dog and looking forward to this upcoming season.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

ghadarits

Those are some great looking dogs fellas.

I'm realizing that I don't take enough pictures of my dog. She is 13yo and retired due to eyesight and hearing loss. I'm currently looking for her replacement. Of course this past season was her first not hunting and I killed a band opening day haha. Someone always starts cutting onions around me when think about her last hunt.

I'm sure I'll feel the same way I still get teared up thinking about my dog before Oolie she really was a go getter never not hunting to the point she was not happy to be in the house no matter the weather. I love the milk-bone picture. Like Flats said that would not be happening with my Oolie. She gets a bone when I leave in the morning and then before bed and she is drooling uncontrollably from the time I reach into the jar until she has it in her mouth.

BigPimpin

Flatsmaster - that’s quite an accomplished retriever. Did you train and run her yourself?

flatsmaster

BPimp I’ve had a lot of help taking her to hunt tests ... I would have liked to run her at Nationals ... I work wk ends so taking time off to run hunt tests was out for me ... I save my time off to deer hunt the rut in Illinois with my kids and kill ducks in Ms ... my kids are grown so she and I train 5 to 6 days a wk ... I have a RRT remote launcher to shoot longer doubles and triples and more frozen ducks and bumpers then should be allowed ... also blessed with property close by to train her ... she became really solid in spite of me !!! Best part is she’s my buddy ... goes to work everyday with me and goes fishing with us and has found a couple of bow kills for my son and daughter ... I don’t think I can stretch her out enough to run a Super Retriever but that’s ok bc she’s SUPER to me!! Good luck with ur pup and enjoy the adventure they take you on

flatsmaster

Devolve i bet that retriever has no problem picking up a triple but he’s walking or moving the boat way more then I am !!! Haha

spring

Here's Chip. He's my buddy. He accomplished a lot in competition but even more as just a happy duck and dove dog. He earned both his Master Hunter (while qualifying for the Master National in California) and his Qualified All-Age in Field Trials by only age 2 years and 3 months. After that, I brought him home for just the good stuff in the field and family times, which was my original goal until his trainer encouraged me to give him a chance to compete.
Sweet Pup!

hAO2QrDP_o.jpeg

Last edited: